Greetings!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Blondie
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: *parked* s2k

Re: Greetings!

Post by Blondie »

Hi Big Boss, I'm new too :)
I just drove around a parking lot today, for about an hour, and got my launches down. I found the friction point pretty fast using some advice I learned from SS, the "no-gas start".
I just drove home in busy traffic, it was terrifying, and I had my first non-intentional stall in which I recovered quickly from.

Aren't you excited? It's so fun. I'm kind of nervous to drive to school tomorrow though, traffic gets pretty bad. Yay for new stick drivers :D
Big Boss
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '00 Celica GT-S

Post by Big Boss »

8)

I'm a total natural. I'm driving around fine! There was a traffic accident on this big street, so the traffic was bumper to bumper...I don't think my clutch would last if I had to face that kinda stuff everyday.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Big Boss wrote:8)

I'm a total natural. I'm driving around fine! There was a traffic accident on this big street, so the traffic was bumper to bumper...I don't think my clutch would last if I had to face that kinda stuff everyday.
sounds like you might not be treating the traffic quite right. are you doing what you would do in an automatic and inching up 1 foot at a time to stay right behind the car in front of you? if so, don't do that. it's unnecessary wear on the clutch and your leg. wait until the car in front of you has moved off a bit and you're sure you're going to move for a while. then slowly creep behind him, leaving a decent gap. a lot of times, if you time it right, you will be coming up to the back of the car just as he starts to move forward again, and you will never have to stop or use your clutch.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Big Boss
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '00 Celica GT-S

Post by Big Boss »

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitley keep that in mind.