UPDATE WITH PICS!!! 2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 5-speed MT

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Mazda3 i Touring 6MT

UPDATE WITH PICS!!! 2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 5-speed MT

Post by charbs152 »

PICS BELOW

i just got a 2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 5-speed MT with 105,000 miles on it
its a nice car and has good power through every gear

it just had the clutch replaced 5,000 miles ago, so thats a plus
new tires,battery,plugs, and brakes

its a great running and smooth riding car and it only has one small dent on the front quarter panel

does anyone else have this car?..... if so post your thoughts on it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by charbs152 on Fri May 30, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: i just got a 2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 5-speed MT

Post by wannabe »

we was looking at a 626 for me once...but didn't get it...i think the price was too high or somethin (dad was makin the decision, mainly)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

wanna sell your intake manifold? i could use it on my probe, 7-10 extra horsepower thru the entire powerband.

it wont be as problematic as 93-97 626s were, but it wont be without its share of stuff. always keep it full of oil. KLs like oil, and #6 rod bearing doesnt get enough oil because mazda is whack and couldnt desing a good oiling system (its also the farthest rod from the oil pump, that attributes to it).
i have no clue how often you gotta adjust your valve lash, i think every 60k miles. your motor (KLG4) has solid lifters, they need to be adjusted. 60k is also the timing belt interval, but its a noninterference motor, so if you snap a timing belt, nothing will happen, youll just be stranded and will need a new TB.

change your valve cover gaskets. they dry out and get crusty and start leaking oil into the spark plug wells and out of the valve cover, and it will make your car run like ass and smell like an oil refinery. gaskets are 30 bucks a pop at mazda, thats the only place to get them, dont get autozone gaskets, they suck ass. youll have to pull the intake manifold to get to the back valve cover, so youll need a new set of intake gaskets. good thing to do is pull a plug wire and see if the bottom of it has oil on it. if they are all dry, you should be fine. if they have oil on them, your valve cover gaskets are leaking.

stuff like that.

enjoy the car. take care of it and it will take care of you.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter

Post by charbs152 »

hockeystyx16 wrote:wanna sell your intake manifold? i could use it on my probe, 7-10 extra horsepower thru the entire powerband.

it wont be as problematic as 93-97 626s were, but it wont be without its share of stuff. always keep it full of oil. KLs like oil, and #6 rod bearing doesnt get enough oil because mazda is whack and couldnt desing a good oiling system (its also the farthest rod from the oil pump, that attributes to it).
i have no clue how often you gotta adjust your valve lash, i think every 60k miles. your motor (KLG4) has solid lifters, they need to be adjusted. 60k is also the timing belt interval, but its a noninterference motor, so if you snap a timing belt, nothing will happen, youll just be stranded and will need a new TB.

change your valve cover gaskets. they dry out and get crusty and start leaking oil into the spark plug wells and out of the valve cover, and it will make your car run like ass and smell like an oil refinery. gaskets are 30 bucks a pop at mazda, thats the only place to get them, dont get autozone gaskets, they suck ass. youll have to pull the intake manifold to get to the back valve cover, so youll need a new set of intake gaskets. good thing to do is pull a plug wire and see if the bottom of it has oil on it. if they are all dry, you should be fine. if they have oil on them, your valve cover gaskets are leaking.

stuff like that.

yes it is a good car
but why are you telling me to replace things and do all of this maintenance

also all of the problems i have seen for 626's were transmission problems, but it was only for the 4cyl automatic version that used a POS FORD tranny

the v6 trannys were better especially the standards
Speedemon
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1999 Honda Accord

Post by Speedemon »

My dad has the same car, 2000 626 LX V6 101,000 miles, but he has an automatic 4 speed I believe.

The car is great power wise and comfort wise and everything works perfectly. The gears tend to stick a bit but thats just the auto tranny. Otherwise its a good car.

It does have a slightly irregular idle though which I'm trying to figure out why.

But besides that its a good car.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

charbs152 wrote: but why are you telling me to replace things and do all of this maintenance

also all of the problems i have seen for 626's were transmission problems, but it was only for the 4cyl automatic version that used a POS FORD tranny

im just telling you because i drive a probe, and if you didnt know, probe, mx6 and 626 are the same car with a different shell and different springs (probe and MX6 being sports compacts, thus having stiffer suspension, and 626, a sedan with softer suspension), thus they share the same problems. a lot of that stuff is regular maintenance anyway. if you had a 93-97, id tell you about the distributor issue with these cars, but yours is a coil pack ignition, no distributor to worry about.

these cars like to be maintained and when they are not maintained, they can come back and bite you in the ass hard and expensive. im just letting you know some of the stuff that i know from my personal experience with 2 KL powered mazdas in a ford shell.

slushboxes in these cars are indeed terrible, thats why an overwhelming majority of probetalk and mx6.com drive stick. our 5 speeds arent the greatest either, cracking tranny cases, blowing differentials up, etc, but you should have problems with yours, you probably wont drive your car as hard as i drive my probe, and mine is holding up. knock on wood.

speedemon, make sure that you dont have air bubbles in the cooling system. air bubbles will go in the IAC and cause the idle to fluctuate in a slow annoying way like that. engine coolant neck isnt the highest point in the sustem, the upper rad hose is, and when you fill it up, air bubble stays in the top of the upper rad hose and then cycles thru. you gotta burp it out.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

charbs152 wrote:
hockeystyx16 wrote:wanna sell your intake manifold? i could use it on my probe, 7-10 extra horsepower thru the entire powerband.

stuff like that.

yes it is a good car
but why are you telling me to replace things and do all of this maintenance

You have just been advised on maintenance by the forum's resident expert on anything related to the 626, MX-6, and Probe.

He's mostly telling you "Make sure to do this when it's needed" and giving you cautionary information.

Damn, Roman... Every single time you make a post like this, it raises another question about my car that I have no idea where to hunt up the information I need to answer it.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter

Post by charbs152 »

thanks i was just like wtf why are you telling me to do all of this stuff

but thanks for the heads up
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter

Re: UPDATE WITH PICS!!! 2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 5-speed MT

Post by charbs152 »

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter

Post by charbs152 »

more pix
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

charbs152 wrote:thanks i was just like wtf why are you telling me to do all of this stuff
:roll:

Regardless, I like you car, dude.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Nice car :) ! Whereabouts in NY are you? I saw the NY plates and Cooley badge and thought Albany area but I know you didn't get the car from that dealer.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Looks clean, good stuff. I wonder how that dent managed to get there.
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter

Post by charbs152 »

i live in upstate NY in mayfield, near the sacandaga lake
got the car in near albany, but not from the dealer
the guy said the dent was from a cart at the store. other than that dent the body is clean. now i gotta take it to the car wash and get it waxed
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

very nice and clean, i have that same shifter knob in my probe, except mine is black
-Roman
95 Probelem GT