New Member/Driver!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
PAULH
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: none currently

New Member/Driver!

Post by PAULH »

Hey all, new member and driver(got my license 4 months ago) here! 16 years old :)

Been reading around for a while and I don't own a car of my own so when I do get to take the car I usually take my dads 96' Honda Accord. (automatic)

However, been talking to my brother (former stick driver with an Integra) and many of my cousins who have previously driven stick and I have been wanting to learn for quite a while. I've always liked the idea of being totally in control and with manual I think i can do that. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on a used car that is a good learning car for manual? Getting a job over the summer to pay for it along with insurance :)

Thanks for everything and I am glad to have joined this forum

Paul
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: New Member/Driver!

Post by wannabe »

welcome :)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Another from Chicago. You guys breed like rabbits, I swear. And a real live Paul too. We really only have fake ones around here.

As for a good used car, we need more information. What are you interested in when it comes to cars? Do you prefer tourers, sports cars, trucks? Big engines, little engines? Coupes, sedans? Any prefered auto makers?

Welcome to insanity!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

watkins wrote:Welcome to insanity!
its organized chaos...serious. there is a method to the madness, we're just still trying to find it...:P
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

watkins wrote:And a real live Paul too. We really only have fake ones around here.
Lol.

Welcome to the forums.
PAULH
Junior Standardshifter

Post by PAULH »

haha thanks for the warm welcome guys.

as far as cars go, i'm not looking for anything to crazy just a learning car basically. I do like touring and sports cars and im not too particular as far as sedan or coupe. I'd probably be going for a smaller engine(V4) because gas is RAPE over here!! regular is slowly nearing 4 bucks per gallon. I am not sure which direction to go as far as auto makers are concerned because i have no real experience with them so any suggestions would be great:)

thanks again guys
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :D

i would like to suggest a Subaru. ;) any would be good. but i think in your situation i'd look for a 99-01 Impreza 2.5 RS.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

jomotopia wrote:i would like to suggest a Subaru. ;) any would be good. but i think in your situation i'd look for a 99-01 Impreza 2.5 RS.
Having owned one, I will second that. No matter what I own in the future I think that will always be my favorite car (until I get an STi). The have a great tossible nature and have plenty of power to have some fun. At the same time there is plenty of room, and a trunk that can hold three bodies, though its an awkward opening. Yes, I do measure trunk size in bodies. Fuel economy is good. I beat the crap out of mine and got about 24mpg, and trust me, theyre fun to beat around. The styling is unique, agressive, and I think quite attractive. All wheel drive is amazing and this car will go through quite a bit of mess with no problem. I really cant praise this car enough. I cant wait to get my hands on another one in a few years.

Heres my '98. There are a few differences between mine and newer years in that range, but heres the idea:
PAULH
Junior Standardshifter

Post by PAULH »

badass suggestions guys! i'll definitely look into them... also quick question; how are hondas and toyotas in terms of performance?
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

The term "bottom of the heap" comes to mind.
PAULH
Junior Standardshifter

Post by PAULH »

haha ouch that bad eh?

I was offered by my current boss a 96' Saturn with 100k miles brand new clutch pad. Only thing is it has a slight crack in the

what do you guys think
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

i always viewed a saturn as a disposable car, probably because their bodies are plastic.

its a cheap transportation appliance, like a toyota or a honda or something like that. i wouldnt get a saturn if you do any spirited driving. saturn and going fast dont really belong in the same conversation.

welcome to SS by the way
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Here's my suggestion: Nissan 240SX. It's going up in price 'cause all the rice drifters are picking them up. But it's a reliable import, has decent power and is RWD. A good starter car IMO, if you plan on keeping it for at least a few years.

I was trying to get ahold of one as my first car, but alas, I was unsuccessful.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

^ instead you ended up with a sub-90hp wrong wheel drive :lol:
<3 fwd
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »