New Stick Driver

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
ozu08865
Junior Standardshifter

New Stick Driver

Post by ozu08865 »

Hi everyone, I just bought my first car (a 1992 VW Jetta) and its a stick shift. My problem is starting from a dead stop...Anyone have any advice for a new driver?
mkracer89
Senior Standardshifter

Re: New Stick Driver

Post by mkracer89 »

Gently start releasing the clutch until it gets to the engagement point, and once you get to that point, give it some gas. I have heard of some people giving a little bit of gas before releasing the clutch, but I think that the way I told you should work fine.

If you are having trouble finding the engagement point for your clutch, just try to release it gently until you feel a slight vibration.
Honda Civic EX coupe
ozu08865
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ozu08865 »

Ok, I been practicing all day, Im fine once i get started. My problem is finding the catch point for the clutch. Its alittle frustrating stalling every 5 sec... :evil:
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

Give it some gas and let out the clutch slowly. Waiting to give gas until the clutch starts to bite is pointless. Once you get comfortable you will be launching in a couple of seconds, so that wait achieves nothing. Just give it gas and let out the clutch.

In my experience, the most common cause of stalling is jumping off the clutch the moment the car starts to move. The clutch is not an on/off switch, it is a friction coupling. A lot of people are in a desperate hurry to get off the clutch as soon as they fell the car move, and this will always cause a stall. Instead, think of it as accelerating with the clutch pedal. Hold the gas steady and accelerate the car by gradually letting out the clutch.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
ozu08865
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ozu08865 »

Thanks for the advice!
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

+1 to Prodigal Son's advice.

I have taught a few people to drive manual... the biggest hurdle for launching is clutch control. Just keep track of where your left foot is and how it feels (on the clutch, while engaging) while keeping the engine alive with the gas pedal... once you've got the basic idea down solidly, things will smooth out.

Good luck! Keep at it. There are lots of different methods for learning to launch; check out the video section and FAQs.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
vspec15
Junior Standardshifter

Post by vspec15 »

Prodigal Son wrote: Hold the gas steady and accelerate the car by gradually letting out the clutch.
What RPM should one hold the gas steady at for a normal launch)? I've heard RPMs ranging from 1,000 - 3,000.
ozu08865
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ozu08865 »

My biggest fear is I feel like Im destroying my clutch everytime I stall or start bucking :cry:
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

ozu08865 wrote:My biggest fear is I feel like Im destroying my clutch everytime I stall or start bucking :cry:
Typical beginner attitude, usually ingrained and solidified by people who drive sticks or repair cars. You will not destroy a clutch by driving. You will cause wear, but think of the clutch like your brakes pads or tires Do you worry every time you press on the brakes that your brakes will fail? (Well, you are in a 92 Jetta...:lol:) Or do you worry that by turning the wheel your tires will suddenly explode? If not, then why worry so much about your clutch? It's designed to wear in order to help you drive. Let it do its job, and if you overwear it a little here and there, don't worry. You won't notice much. :D
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

+1 to Prodigal's advice. also, you may want to try practicing a few no-gas starts to get a feel for your clutch.
vspec15 wrote:What RPM should one hold the gas steady at for a normal launch)? I've heard RPMs ranging from 1,000 - 3,000.
3000 is way too high for a normal launch. 1.5k is probably a good, general range. if you have an engine with a lot of low end torque you can go lower. if you have a weak engine you may need to go a bit higher, especially on a hill.
ozu08865 wrote:My biggest fear is I feel like Im destroying my clutch everytime I stall or start bucking :cry:
your clutch will be fine. welcome to the site. :)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter

Post by Prodigal Son »

vspec15 wrote:What RPM should one hold the gas steady at for a normal launch)? I've heard RPMs ranging from 1,000 - 3,000.
Depends on the car. It is not actually the RMPs that matter, but the torque. The more low end torque your engine produces, the lower revs you need to launch. It also depends on how quickly you want to launch. A quicker launch requires more torque and therefore higher RPM. I'd suggest using about 2000 to start with and adjust up or down based on the results. Gradually you will find the right level for you and your car.
mkracer89
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mkracer89 »

Prodigal Son wrote:Give it some gas and let out the clutch slowly. Waiting to give gas until the clutch starts to bite is pointless.
It only takes me about a second to launch the car using my method. I have tried giving some gas first and that works fine, but waiting for the clutch to engage first shouldn't slow you down, unless you are crawling off the clutch.
Honda Civic EX coupe
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter

Post by Prodigal Son »

mkracer89 wrote:
Prodigal Son wrote:Give it some gas and let out the clutch slowly. Waiting to give gas until the clutch starts to bite is pointless.
It only takes me about a second to launch the car using my method. I have tried giving some gas first and that works fine, but waiting for the clutch to engage first shouldn't slow you down, unless you are crawling off the clutch.
Agree. I said it was pointless, not that it wouldn't work. Actually, experienced drivers probably just naturally do both things at once, bringing the revs up as they start the clutch release. But that's a refinement, and it is generally not helpful to teach refinements right off the bat. Newbies generally learn best with the simplest method that works, a method that isolates one movement, rather than trying to co-ordinate two or more movements. The refinements can come later.
vspec15
Junior Standardshifter

Post by vspec15 »

Prodigal Son wrote: It is not actually the RMPs that matter, but the torque.
My car's TQ is 160 ft lb @ 4,400 rpm. What do you suggest? 1,500? Thanks
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter

Post by Prodigal Son »

vspec15 wrote:
Prodigal Son wrote: It is not actually the RMPs that matter, but the torque.
My car's TQ is 160 ft lb @ 4,400 rpm. What do you suggest? 1,500? Thanks
That's your peak torque. It doesn't tell us what the shape of the torque curve is, so it doesn't tell us if there is enough torque at 1500 to launch the weight of your car. There probably is though. There is on most cars. Try it and see. Generally you want to give yourself a little extra margin of error when you are a beginner and then bring the launch revs down as you get more confident.