Got the new car! Subaru won me over again... yeah!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
forestnicker
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 08 Subaru OBS 5MT

Got the new car! Subaru won me over again... yeah!

Post by forestnicker »

First things first: Thanks to one and all for some great lurking on the forum over the last six months. Without this forum, I wouldn't have had the information I needed to take some test drives with confidence, and probably wouldn't have bothered in the first place. Your enthusiasm for standardshifting caught on. Now...less talk, more pics:

Here's my 2008 Subaru Outback Sport, 5MT:
117_1786.JPG
Basically, you take your new Impreza, add two-tone paint, 4-wheel disc brakes, standard stability control, 6CD changer, 10 speakers, 17" wheels, heated everything including seats, raised suspension... My car came with an auto-dimming mirror and compass, splashguards, and an iPod integration kit. The integration kit is pretty nice if you like your tunes. Sounds a lot better than just plugging the player via the headphone jack.
117_1787.JPG
I think it's a sporty look, and the two-tone is growing on me. I thought it was awful the first ten times I saw pictures. It definitely is better looking in person...especially if you just financed several thousand dollars for it.
117_1788.JPG
Most importantly, driving impressions: My first drive of a base 2008 Impreza 2.5i was disappointing, but it was also my first extended drive of a 5-speed in years. That was 6 months ago or so. I've gotten a lot better since then and when I drove this car a couple weeks ago, I had a great time in it, and have been ever since. I'm used to the shifter feel now, and haven't missed a single shift in 500 miles. It actually feels very smooth now, though not exactly precise every time. 5th is the most difficult to find, but if I take it easy, it seems to find itself.

I attempted my first double-clutch revmatch downshift at 90 miles on the odo and got it pretty close. Now I can hit 5>4 and 4>3 no problem. I figure the run-in period on the engine is a good excuse to practice this....gently, of course.

On the whole, I'm very happy with this decision. I've been thinking about it for some time now, and have several friends that drive stick. That made it an even easier choice. I'm finding a whole new connection with the car, and a level of "feel" while driving that I didn't even know existed.

I'll post more pictures in another post. I don't know if attaching them is the correct way, but it only allows three per post. Hope you like my new pride and joy. I should probably change my name to Impreznicka, but I'll keep Forestnicker in homage to the car that got me into the wonderful constellation that is Subaru. (Bonus: my parents bought my Forester and probably will keep it....so I can visit her any time I like!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm easy to spot. Look for the guy thinking to himself, "Am I wearing out my clutch?"
forestnicker
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Got the new car! Subaru won me over again... yeah!

Post by forestnicker »

A few interior pics:
117_1784.JPG
The whole setup is growing on me daily. I thought the switch of the dash vents and radio unit was dumb, until I began glancing at the radio display while driving. It's a lot less far to look away from the road with this arrangement. +1. And with steering wheel controls, the reach up to the radio is not needed very often.
117_1776.JPG
I would prefer a bigger tach and a smaller gas gauge. Geez, who needs to watch the gas needle fall right before their very eyes??? I miss the temp gauge, but Subaru says that a light functions better as a warning than a needle. Yeah, but...

At night, everything is red. It looks good. There is some blueish ambient lighting in the center console storage space.

Overall, there is a real lack of storage spaces. I miss the top-mounted center storage and two sunglasses holders in my Forester. Sounds kind of "soccer-mom" to gripe about that, but I will anyway. :)
117_1783.JPG
There's my first mod. Just in case I forget. :lol: I want to make this my avatar, but don't know how to get it below 5k. Does that mean I'm less of a dork than I thought?

Well, either way, enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm easy to spot. Look for the guy thinking to himself, "Am I wearing out my clutch?"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Very nice. First interior pics Ive seen and its far better than I thought it would be.

First actual mod you need to do is the red tail light mod. Get rid of those nasty clear rears.

Happy shifting!
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

welcome to SS! nice car man.

+1 to the red tails.
FREE ROMAN!
forestnicker
Junior Standardshifter

Post by forestnicker »

Yeah, I'm not going to argue the clear covers for brakelights...but if they're red LEDs, would red plastic lessen the visibility? Perhaps the mod you're suggesting replaces the LEDs with white ones.

The clear lights to the inside of the brakelights are really bright reverse lights--they're more than just white lights to signal to other people. They're light headlights for the back of your car. I discovered this last night when a friend was standing behind me wanted to know what they did. Hope his retinas are okay. Interesting safety feature.

Sorry the pictures only show up when you're logged in. I guess I did this wrong.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

That's a rather strange two-tone.

I think getting rid of the temp gauge is a horrible idea. If they think a light is better, they should use it as a supplement, not a replacement. If the car is overheating I want to know the extent that it is overheating, so I can judge how far I can go each time I stop to let it cool off a bit.

The clear tails match your paint, I don't think you should change it. If anything, swap the red parts for clears.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Its just a red film thats put inside the lights. The LEDs are still red as well. Theyre bright enough that it still works well. Ill try to find the link. I know its on a Subie forum somewhere
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

forestnicker wrote:A few interior pics:
117_1784.JPG
The whole setup is growing on me daily. I thought the switch of the dash vents and radio unit was dumb, until I began glancing at the radio display while driving. It's a lot less far to look away from the road with this arrangement. +1. And with steering wheel controls, the reach up to the radio is not needed very often.
117_1776.JPG
I would prefer a bigger tach and a smaller gas gauge. Geez, who needs to watch the gas needle fall right before their very eyes??? I miss the temp gauge, but Subaru says that a light functions better as a warning than a needle. Yeah, but...

At night, everything is red. It looks good. There is some blueish ambient lighting in the center console storage space.

Overall, there is a real lack of storage spaces. I miss the top-mounted center storage and two sunglasses holders in my Forester. Sounds kind of "soccer-mom" to gripe about that, but I will anyway. :)
117_1783.JPG
There's my first mod. Just in case I forget. :lol: I want to make this my avatar, but don't know how to get it below 5k. Does that mean I'm less of a dork than I thought?

Well, either way, enjoy.
Want me to Photoshop the pic down to size?
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

forestnicker wrote:I want to make this my avatar, but don't know how to get it below 5k. Does that mean I'm less of a dork than I thought?

Well, either way, enjoy.
Just have a free photo website (e.g. photobucket) host it and have your avatar link to the image location. Then there's no size limit and the dimensions will automatically be adjusted.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

ava size :D
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
forestnicker
Junior Standardshifter

Post by forestnicker »

Thanks for the photo tips.

Well done, wannabe, thanks. I'll try to make that work.

F.nicker

By the way, I put the new license plate card back in the window after I took the pictures. Additionally, I removed the dealer decals. First time I've bothered to do that to a car. I kept looking over my shoulder for the flashing lights of a Vehicle Enforcement squad car. :shock: It was like tearing the tag off a mattress. :twisted:
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

FREE ROMAN!
forestnicker
Junior Standardshifter

Post by forestnicker »

WOAH, that looks pretty cool.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Yeah, it does look nice. One of the biggest issues with the styling is a relatively easy fix.

Thanks for hunting that down, subzero.
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

yeah, looks a helluva lot nicer than the OEM altezzas. (no offense)

and no problem.
FREE ROMAN!