Yet another member.

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Esc
Junior Standardshifter

Yet another member.

Post by Esc »

Hey everyone. I've been lurking here for about 2 years but never really joined mainly because I could just search for my answers.

The main reason why I joined was because I couldn't quite find the answer to my problem (which I also Googled but found nothing):

This started sometime yesterday. When I drove off to work and got in 1st gear, I noticed that my friction point is much, MUCH lower than I remember it being. It almost feels as though the clutch is going, but I can still upshift and downshift normally. I don't have a tach in the car (2003 Hyundai Accent) and I mainly drive by ear.

The last time I had this problem was a few months ago when I couldn't even get into first gear at all! I filled up with brake fluid and I noticed then that I had a leak and that I had to check the fluids every month or so just to make sure.

TL;DR My clutch feels loose and I think it might be going. Can anyone help me out? Thanks much!
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Your engagement point is lower? As in closer to the floorboard? I don't think that's the sign of a slipping clutch. If anything, the engagement point would be higher (since the clutch will slip more with the same force exerted on it). That sounds like it might be a hydraulic issue though. See if you have any leaks from your master/slave cylinder, or get a mechanic to look at it.

Brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics? Never heard of that, but I guess it's not unbelievable. Same basic principle, similar technology...

Welcome to the site BTW. Sorry it had to be under such circumstances. :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Esc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Esc »

Nychold wrote:Your engagement point is lower? As in closer to the floorboard? I don't think that's the sign of a slipping clutch.
Yeah, lower as in closer to the floorboard. This morning it caught me off guard again because I thought there might've been a bubble or something.
Nychold wrote:Brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics? Never heard of that, but I guess it's not unbelievable. Same basic principle, similar technology...
Yeah, brake fluid in the clutch reservoir. At least that's what my uncle filled his up with and has been using that for as many years as I've known him (all my life).
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. sounds like a hydraulics issue to me as well, but i'm not a mechanic.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Esc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Esc »

jomotopia wrote:welcome to the site. sounds like a hydraulics issue to me as well, but i'm not a mechanic.
Hmm... That's 2 for 2 on the hydraulics. What does it mean when it goes out? What does it take to get it fixed?
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

I'm with jomo on this one. Welcome to the site, and I hope we can figure it out! :mrgreen:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Nychold:
My clutch system uses DOT 3.

Welcome to the forum, Esc!
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

yea, most clutches take regular brake fluid.

clutch not disengaging right is a sign of problems in the clutch linkage, and thus, in your hydraulics.

you said you need to keep adding brake fluid every once in a while, that means you got a leak somewhere, brake fluid doesnt magically disappear from the brake/clutch system.
most likely its leaking from your slave cylinder. its the most common failure point in hydraulic clutches, and its easy to fix. pop the hood and check around your clutch slave. if you cant find it, have somebody pump the clutch and look around the bellhousing, you will see a small piston thin pushing on your clutch fork. if the bellhousing around it is wet, then its leaking and you should change it soon.
if thats all normal and dry, work your way up the clutch line. in an 03 car, the rubber part of the clutch line shouldnt be old enough to leak, clutch lines never leaked in any of the stick cars ive driven, a 90 acura, and my 93 probe, and i never really seen a clutch line leak.
next thing to check would be your clutch master cylinder. its on the firewall in the engine bay, right across the firewall from the clutch pedal. look for fluid on it or around it. also, look in your footwell on the firewall around the clutch pedal, if its wet, the clutch master is leaking.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Welcome to the forums.
Esc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Esc »

hockeystyx16 wrote:yea, most clutches take regular brake fluid.

clutch not disengaging right is a sign of problems in the clutch linkage, and thus, in your hydraulics.

you said you need to keep adding brake fluid every once in a while, that means you got a leak somewhere, brake fluid doesnt magically disappear from the brake/clutch system.
most likely its leaking from your slave cylinder. its the most common failure point in hydraulic clutches, and its easy to fix. pop the hood and check around your clutch slave. if you cant find it, have somebody pump the clutch and look around the bellhousing, you will see a small piston thin pushing on your clutch fork. if the bellhousing around it is wet, then its leaking and you should change it soon.
if thats all normal and dry, work your way up the clutch line. in an 03 car, the rubber part of the clutch line shouldnt be old enough to leak, clutch lines never leaked in any of the stick cars ive driven, a 90 acura, and my 93 probe, and i never really seen a clutch line leak.
next thing to check would be your clutch master cylinder. its on the firewall in the engine bay, right across the firewall from the clutch pedal. look for fluid on it or around it. also, look in your footwell on the firewall around the clutch pedal, if its wet, the clutch master is leaking.
Interesting... I'll be sure to take a look at it as soon as possible. Thanks for the info.

Also, thanks for the welcome guys. I'll be sure to post more often. :)