I'm a new member! Come read!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Yummy
Junior Standardshifter

I'm a new member! Come read!

Post by Yummy »

Hii, I'm 16, and have had my driver's license since May of 2007.

I've been driving automatics since I started driving, and I don't have any prior hands-on experience with MT cars.

I've been in the market for a car, a manual hopefully, because...what kind of man doesn't know how to drive a manual right? My dad could totally teach me, and if it's something I'm interested in, like cars and driving, I can learn fairly quick.

For some reason, my mom is against the idea of buying a MT car for me, she says I'm not experienced enough, but when else will I be able to learn right? I dunno, I've been impressed by manual drivers ever since getting a ride in my friend's GTI. Don't get me wrong though, it's not like I'm TOTALLY ignorant to cars and things...
SIGNATURE
Zexel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0

Post by Zexel »

Welcome to SS.

Don't worry about your mom being against you. I have most of my family against me as I'm looking for a new car too. I just block them out or say "I'll take that into consideration." when I really won't. :D

Good luck on your car search.
Driving stick since April 8th, 2008.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Welcome to the forums.

What cars are you interested in getting?
Yummy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Yummy »

I really like the 97 VW Jetta, you know, those real boxy ones. All the ones I've seen have been under 4 grand too, which is a good thing.

How do you guys feel about those cars?
SIGNATURE
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Oh we got plenty of Dubbers here. They'll tell you all about it. 8)
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

Welcome Aboard.

My mom was against my buying my car as well, but when I got it and showed her I could drive it, everything was fine :P
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

People ask me all the time why I drive a stick... They think it's stupid... I'm getting really tired of attempting to educate the ignorant masses...

Don't let what they say bother you. If some kid in the U.K. (or one of the majority of countries around the world where you're not likely to even see an automatic) can learn to drive a manual as their first car, then you can most certainly do it. Just use your common sense, and you should be fine.

Welcome to the forum.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
breakd0wn88
Junior Standardshifter

Post by breakd0wn88 »

welcome!
I started as an auto driver as well. I dont think I could ever go back now :D
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Welcome to the site, Yummy. :mrgreen:

Parents are usually against buying a manual as a first car because they feel that you need to develop the appropriate skills as a driver first, then learn how to shift. Personally, I feel that you'll sharpen your skills as a driver even better while learning how to pilot a car with a manual transmission.

I think Zexel's approach is the most accurate - be polite, but go for what you want. :)
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Yummy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Yummy »

My mom's opening up to the idea, of course my old man will need to come along to get the car back haha
SIGNATURE
Canuck
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Canuck »

I was fully licensed since last november (G2) but have had my umm.."learners permit?" (G1) since may 2006, and have driven auto till Feb.08 i got my first car, first MT. Dad took me out, gave me some lessons. I practised in the backroads and side streets, and was on my way. I love stick, lots of fun, always doing something, total control:P i get back in my mom or dads auto and go WTF is this, as i hit the brake with my left foot thinking its a clutch :lol:

Anyways welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice!

Canuck
04 Mazda 3 5spd
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

comingbackdown wrote:People ask me all the time why I drive a stick... They think it's stupid... I'm getting really tired of attempting to educate the ignorant masses...

Don't let what they say bother you. If some kid in the U.K. (or one of the majority of countries around the world where you're not likely to even see an automatic) can learn to drive a manual as their first car, then you can most certainly do it. Just use your common sense, and you should be fine.

Welcome to the forum.
Apples to Oranges my friend. The people in UK actually have standards and tests and requirements. Here, you show up with a car, sit down for a written test, get in a car and drive. If you can do that, you pay a couple of bucks and you can drive. :roll: Not sure of the procedure in the UK but I know it involves mandatory driving instruction.

Anyway, welcome to the site Yummy. Manual cars are impressive to ride in and drive, and believe it or not, they help your temperament. I used to be an aggressive driver. Really. I sped everywhere, I'd yell and scream at people to get the **** outta my way. Sling my wobblebox into corners (horrible suspension), chirp tires, etc. When I started driving a stick...I stopped speeding. :lol: :lol:

No really, I've noticed that just getting to drive my old automatic Beretta has changed me. I'm extremely bored when I drive, I phase in and out of attention (very uncommon for me in my tC), and overall I'm just getting impatient.

Driving a stick is the best thing for a kid, IMHO. Welcome aboard, and I hope you find something you like to drive! :D
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

^^It also depends on what you drive, Nychold.

For me it's a little different. Driving my truck I was always mellowed out and slowly wobbling down the road.

Getting into my Rabbit I often feel a little zippy. I don't beat on the car at all, but zippy is good. Of course, feeling zippy while driving my old truck would have killed you, so...
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Youre both definitely right. I was far more zippy in my 2.5RS. Subies are fun for playing. Now not only do I not throw the car around as much, but Im maybe 5-10mph slower on the highway than I used to be. The mpg readout might be the reason for that though.

Thats not to say that I dont frequently enjoy dropping to 2nd or 3rd and gunning it down the onramp :twisted: