Mis Shift Damage?

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
atst2000
Junior Standardshifter

Mis Shift Damage?

Post by atst2000 »

Hey guys, I'm a new member I have a question for everyone.

Today (on accident) I mis-shifted my 05 Scion Tc from 4-3 instead of 4-5 getting on the highway. I felt horrible about it, but tried to clutch it as soon as I heard the engine whining very loud. I was probably going about 65-70 at the time. I am an experienced stick driver this is my second stick and have been driving manual for over 5 years never mis-shifted until today.

I hope I didnt do any damage. I pulled in my driveway later and didnt hear any weird noises or anything from the engine and it seemed to be idling like it normally does. How would I know if I did any damage at all? Im just worried at this point that I may have either ruined my valves or a rod.....any advice or info?

Thanks again!
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

As long as you didn't overrev it (did it go past redline? bounce off the rev limiter?) you're fine!

Oh, and welcome aboard!
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Post by black94boost »

I'm sure you didn't do any major damage. 3rd gear in my car redlines at around 80. For you to be in 3rd gear going 65-70, you might be nearing redline (Other tC owners may confirm or correct me). However, if you were going 65-70 and mis-shifted into 2nd, some damage may be done.
What'cha gonna do when we come for you?
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Welcome to the forums.

EDIT: I'm moving my question answer to the other thread, maybe lock this one.