i'm getting worse!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Rodriguez
Junior Standardshifter

i'm getting worse!

Post by Rodriguez »

My dad thinks i'm getting worse! I can only drive on the weekends, because that's when my dad has time. Last week I was pretty good, considering that I only drove two times prior to that session. Today, I died out so much times and I don't know why I stalled so much times today. I drive a two week old Toyota Tacoma X-Runner, and it's fun. I used to only drive back roads and today I finally practiced on the main roads and died out once. I'm kinda happy and sad about stalling that one time, because I knew I shouldn't have died out (I was embarassed), but it's less than how much times I predicted.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

You can get worse... it's because your not practicing enough, give it time though and you will get better, practice more and you will get better quicker. Don't worry about stalling... I don't stall now but then again I don't care about the clutch no pansy ass 1k rpm launches... 1500-2000rpm is where i'm at launching no point hanging round :twisted:
<3 fwd
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm king of pansy-ass launches. I normally launch between 800-1200 rpms. :lol:
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

^^ Dude how do you live with yourself!? I'm sorry but hypermiling is not for me :lol:

I sometimes launch at 1,000rpm but thats if it's quiet and I'm tired or something... meh my parents cars don't have anything down low..
<3 fwd
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

i launch low as hell too. dont know how low, havent cared about my launch rpms since a lont time ago, but anything over 1200 is rare.

if im having some fun. ill rev to about 2500 and finesse dump the clutch. anything more, or a plain clutch dump and ill roast the tires. cant have fun on winter rubber, spring needs to hurry up
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

You're actually not getting worse; you've gotten to a point where you think you are better than you actually are. Keep practicing, and your shifts will catch up with your thoughts. :)
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Bawked wrote:^^ Dude how do you live with yourself!? I'm sorry but hypermiling is not for me :lol:

I sometimes launch at 1,000rpm but thats if it's quiet and I'm tired or something... meh my parents cars don't have anything down low..
I don't really hypermile it, I just launch low. It's rare that I need to launch higher but sometimes I do.

I've got quite a decent amount of low-end torque, which allows me to launch low and not bog what so ever.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rodriguez
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Rodriguez »

I just came back from practicing again and I didn't die out today! Do you guys launch slowly in main roads? My dad tells me to launch fast, but if I do, i'm not good enough yet to get it everytime.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Easiest way to launch slow is with the no gas launch. Don't touch the gas pedal, and just use engine idle and the clutch to get going. Most have enough torque to get the job done, and rather quickly. Plus it helps when learning because you have less to do, and more focus on what you're doing.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Rodriguez
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Rodriguez »

so you can just be in neutral, then shift to first and just slowly let the clutch go and it will engage?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Exactly. Its really good practice to get a feel for clutch control.
Rodriguez
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Rodriguez »

Is it okay if I learn on a brand new car? They said I have to break it in for 500 miles, but is it okay if I stall a lot on it?
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Rodriguez wrote:Is it okay if I learn on a brand new car? They said I have to break it in for 500 miles, but is it okay if I stall a lot on it?
That's how I learned. Bought a brand new 2007 Scion tC, and learned the same week. No far no problems, and I'm up to 31k.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

This is a question better answered by our more mechanically-savvy members . . . but in my humble opinion, I think it would be best to try to get at least 500 miles on the vehicle because a new(er) driver learns on it.

That being said, Honda's engines are nearly bullet-proof, and engines in general are built to a much higher spec than before.

You really won't know for a long time, anyhow. :)
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar