Hello there!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

hey...welcome! nice car, btw
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
bde
Senior Standardshifter

Post by bde »

jomotopia wrote:i think it's really just a personal preference with modern synchromesh gearboxes. i prefer double clutch b/c it feels like a more natural motion, one foot going up and the other coming down and then vice-versa. and i like that i can get in gear faster on my high rev downshifts b/c i don't have to wait for the synchros.
Hey Jomo - thanks for the input) You've got one hell of a ride!-congrats) - was looking at the pics)

What do you mean by waiting for syncros? Not familiar with this stuff yet:)

Thanks
Good decisions come from experience -
experience comes from bad decisions...
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

bde wrote:What do you mean by waiting for syncros? Not familiar with this stuff yet:)
if you don't double clutch, then when you downshift, the synchros have to speed up the input shaft and clutch to match the speed for the lower gear. the higher in the revs you are downshifting to, the more it has to speed up. it takes time for the synchro to do its work, so you have a bit of resistance and a little wait while everything synchs up before the stick goes into gear. if you double clutch, then when you blip the throttle you speed up the clutch and input shaft yourself, so then when you go to stick it in gear, there is little or no work for the synchro to do and the stick goes right in.
bde wrote:Hey Jomo - thanks for the input) You've got one hell of a ride!-congrats) - was looking at the pics)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
bde
Senior Standardshifter

Post by bde »

Got it Jomo) Thanks for the explanation - makes good sense for me now)

I've actually made some adjustments with my seat (never know what a differences few cms in seat height make) So I lowered the seat all the way down to the floor and heel-toeing is considerably easier vs 2-3 handle pumps above (not sure how seat height is adjusted in sti though; auto or manual).

Thing that got me confused is that wrx's seats slope down quite a beat and if you life both legs at the same time to go for double clutch, you are really building up ur abdominal 6-pack -lol Although generally you always go for the brake first and never 2 pedals at the same time ( as far as i know). So I've played around with dbl clutch heel toe and it really worked seamlessly from the first couple of tries - granted I'm doing it very slowly to work out a routine - but I hiope in a month or 2 I'll be fairly proficient with it))

Thanks again
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

You can go for as many pedals as you want. In a heel toe it can be all three at once. Panic stops are brake and clutch together.

Seat position makes all the difference in the world in a standard. The most miniscule change can make driving much easier or much harder. Its good to try a few different setups at first to find the one thats most comfortable and gives you the most control. Coming from an auto this is tricky, but its something that needs to be done.
bde
Senior Standardshifter

Post by bde »

I've actualy heard about heel-toeing on hills - I guess that's the most practical use for 3 pedal heel toe. Never tried it though as I'm not yet good with it, but eventually I'll give it a try:)

Working on my dbl clutch heel-toe and it's pretty good now, can do it consistently several times in a row but not good with braking finesse- i tend to brake too much- nothing harsh - just a bit more than necessary-hoping to eradicate it with time:)

Btw, I noticed that once i've done my dbl clutch i tend to pop out the clutch and go back on gas-i practice at 40-60km/h in straights. I feel that if i leave foot on brake, I feel i'm going too slow and either need to downshift one more gear or push in the clutch. Alluding to my point above, I think it has to do more with precision braking than anything.

Anyone familar with this phenomenon:)?