Former Honda guy now driving a Domestic

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
I Go To Costco
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Camaro Z28

Former Honda guy now driving a Domestic

Post by I Go To Costco »

I'm 19 and have been driving for over one and a half years now, and driving standard for about a year. Less than 2 months after I got my license, I bought my first standard car, a 1995 Integra LS sedan. And thats when I feel in love with manual transmissions (as disgusting as it sounds)

Shortly before that I had been stuck driving a slushbox 97 Civic. That thing was great on gas, but so horrifyingly boring to drive. I had been working for the past year before that and had saved up enough so I went out and bought the cheapest, good-running clean title manual Integra sedan I could.

I loved it! I didn't modify it at all aside from a cold air intake, just changed the oil, brake, clutch and tranny fluid and it ran like a dream. Fun as hell to drive too, and it wasn't even a GSR. Even my brother, who owns a 1991 MR2 Turbo and has driven a highly modified Cobra before, said it was fun to drive and regretted that I sold it. It was so easy to work on and I learned so much from owning and driving it, it kinda made me sad because it held a lot of sentimental value to me.

After being car-less for another 2 months, and having no option but to drive the slushbox Civic again, I was determined to find a car. I had been looking for one long before that, but during that time I had my very own car. Of course I also was allowed to drive my mom's 2003 TL Type-S, which is a pretty fun car to drive too, but it wasn't a standard.

I grew tired of looking for beat up, modified or overpriced 240sx's and MR2 Turbos. I then decided on a car no one would ever think I would buy.... a Camaro. Eventually I found a sweet Z28, 6-speed manual. Clean title, mint! It was a HUGE jump for me, had to go out and get a loan and everything. Owned it for almost a month now, and I love it!

One thing's for sure, I won't buy anything but a standard from now on. I would not hesitate to buy another Honda/Acura either. They just make fun cars to drive. Very easy to modify and play with, which I like because I'm a DIY guy but somewhat new to fixing cars. That thread that was simply named "honda" in the Tranny Talk subforum kind of bothered me because there was a lot of misinformation, but we'll just leave that thread buried....

And here is a pic of my current baby... she only screams at me when I want her to. Or should I say, now that I no longer own a Honda... roars when I want her to. :twisted:

One last thing I wanted to say.... I like to make long posts, so get used to it. :D
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Welcome!

If you were looking for a cheap MR2, you should've found a first gen AW11, those are quick pocket rockets when equipped with the SC.

That honda thread isn't dead yet, the last post was what, 5 days ago? Feel free to post, and stop hiding knowledge! :P

Your Z28 has an LS1 I assume?
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

SLP Exhaust + Volant CAI = MADNESSSSS

very nice ride, i suggest u make it really loud so you draw attention to yourself.
Azrael
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Azrael »

Leedeth wrote:Welcome!

If you were looking for a cheap MR2, you should've found a first gen AW11, those are quick pocket rockets when equipped with the SC.

That honda thread isn't dead yet, the last post was what, 5 days ago? Feel free to post, and stop hiding knowledge! :P

Your Z28 has an LS1 I assume?
Yep LS1 in all V8 F-Body cars from 1998-2002.

Welcome my LS1 brother!!! My wife drives a heavily modded 2002 Camaro SS, and that was my first GM product and loved it so much she got me my current ride so she could have her car back. Welcome to SS!
-=2003 Black Corvette Z06=-
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Welcome to the site, beast of a car you have :)

We also like exhaust notes and videos of the beasts at work :twisted:
<3 fwd
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Great to have you with us, I Go To Costco! :mrgreen: I drove a 1999 Camaro 3800II 5MT for about a year - absolutely loved the car. Irrational love. They aren't easy to drive, have (some) quality issues, and for some reason, they just hook ya. :)

Beautiful Z28! Love the T-Tops - I wish I'd of had them. :P

:lol:
I'm the opposite of you - I'm a formerly domestic driver (Chrysler, GM, Ford) now driving an import (Mazda). :D
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
MustangFan424
Senior Standardshifter

Post by MustangFan424 »

Glad you fianlly saw the light and got something with real power. 4 Gerbals doesn't really cut it now does it? :) Enjoy the Z28.
-Phil
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Needs a drop :lol:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wait, why did you sell the integra? :?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

I remember driving my friends Camaro.... whooo it was too easy to slide the backend. Fun though. :wink: :lol:
MustangFan424 wrote:Glad you fianlly saw the light and got something with real power. 4 Gerbals doesn't really cut it now does it? :) Enjoy the Z28.
Hmmm I have 4 gerbils.... oh but they play with a snail... that makes up for it I suppose.