A learner on the loose

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

A learner on the loose

Post by Leedeth »

Well, not really "loose" yet. Not that crazy yet. :wink:

Hi! I'm Lee and I hail from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. I'm 17 and I've had my learners license for about a year and have been driving my uncle's standard shift for just about that long too. I also lurked here for about that long - props on the great FAQs!

So...how's my driving you might ask? Well I've got the basics down pretty well. IMO I can shift quite fast now. I'm working on rev-matching my downshifts now, and the next thing I'll try is heel-and-toe.

I absolutely love to drive if the car isn't an automatic. I love accelerating. I love the highway on-ramps...its the only place where I can gun right to 100 (er, 60 for you Americans) from a near stop. I love shifting from fifth to third (with rev-match of course) and gunning it on the highway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civi ... 96-2000.29
My uncle's car is a '96 Honda Civic DX 2-door coupe. It's colour is...white, lol. I actually didn't know until now that the engine only has 106hp and 103ft.lb...I thought it felt sluggish on the highway. In fourth and fifth there's basically no power. I hate how there's no tachometer. Why the hell would they sell a standard without a tach?

The other car I drive is a '98 Ford Windstar, a huge auto minivan that I hate to drive now. It'll come in useful when I learn to parallel park though. :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_240SX
For my first car I plan on getting a Nissan 240SX, because it’s a rear-wheel drive car. It’s sporty, sleek, and is a two-door. It's not special, but it's affordable. Of the different models I prefer the S13 Chūki, available from model years 1991 to 1994. Unfortunately, this model line is discontinued, so it might be hard to get a hold of one. If I have to choose a different model, it has to be a rear or four-wheel drive.

Before I got my learners I played Gran Turismo 3 and 4 as well as Need for Speed: Underground 1 and 2. It was a blast but nothing compared to the real thing. And yes I do own at those games...with a manual tranny. :D

Well, that it. Thanks for reading! Standards FTW!
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D your sig is great!
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

Haha, yea nice sig man :wink:

Welcome to the site!
jory543
Master Standardshifter

Post by jory543 »

welcome!
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

welcome
hai1206vn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hai1206vn »

welcome. Good to have another 240 fan!!
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna
Badmojo
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Badmojo »

Hey! I used to live in Victoria - went to Oak Bay High for a year.
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Thanks guys!

I've noticed there's a few of you live around the lower mainland area.

Oh, one thing I have to admit though, I notice that there's actually a lot of standards on the road now that I'm accustomed to listening for that engine pitch change. It's pretty cool when I hear one go by. :D