New To Manual and Fearful

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Two people here drive 400hp GTOs.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Johnf514 wrote:I think he might be driving the most powerful car on this site, actually. I'm not sure what victim is running, though . . .

Anyone pony up to 394 HP?
six wrote:Two people here drive 400hp GTOs.
this is what's more important as far as the most powerful car:

2005 Pontiac GTO
400 hp
3725 lbs
9.3 pounds per horsepower

2003 BMW M5
394 hp
4024 lbs
10.2 pounds per horsepower

2004 Subaru STi
300 hp
3263 lbs
10.9 pounds per horsepower

so the GTO wins, and the M5 just barely edges me out with a whole 94 extra hp ;)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
M5
Junior Standardshifter

Post by M5 »

My brother in law is begging me to put a Dinan Stage 2 supercharger on it to take it to 474 HP. I told him to give me the 20K it takes I would. Dinan does make a Stage 3 Supercharger that takes it to 600HP.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

^^ do it!! :D :P you can get that power-weight ratio all the way down to 6.7 pounds per horsepower. geez you might achieve liftoff lol :lol:
ding
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ding »

on the topic of weight:

anyone know any particular cheap ways to make your car lighter? I'm sort of attached to my seats, so I don't wanna hear anything about throwing those out. :wink: My car has power and all, but my car still feels quite like a boat. I'm more of a fan of lighter weight than more power... now that I think about it, I don't really know why I got the car I did. :roll:
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

take out the AC
ding
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ding »

i like my ac :( how much do they usually weigh?
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

ding wrote:on the topic of weight:

anyone know any particular cheap ways to make your car lighter? I'm sort of attached to my seats, so I don't wanna hear anything about throwing those out. :wink: My car has power and all, but my car still feels quite like a boat. I'm more of a fan of lighter weight than more power... now that I think about it, I don't really know why I got the car I did. :roll:
Which car would that be?

As well as the A/C, the spare tire/wheel can go, too. Just hope you don't get a nasty flat.
I know you said inexpensive, but you can also upgrade your engine and tranny components to lighter ones.
Consider carbon fiber to replace fiberglass.
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

aluminum or carbon fiber hood and trunk lid?

or go on a diet lol :lol: :P
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Every pound counts. Switch to lighter wheels and tires, take out sound deadening materials, take out carpets, if you don't listen to the radio, take the whole sound system out (including wires), switch to a lighter battery with battery mount, carbon-fiber as many body panels as you can (hood, roof, and trunk are the most significant), chuck the spare including jack, all tools and mounting hardware, switch to Lexan windows, take out all airbags (including sensors, all wiring and mounting hardware), all interior door and pillar panels, switch to lighter suspension components, lighter steering wheel, take out dash trim, power window motors, windsheild washer resevoir, power steering system, power brakes system, etc. Your car will be loud, rough, hot (or cold, depending on weather), and unsafe as a result, but it sure handles like a bitch!

j/k...
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

six wrote:Every pound counts. Switch to lighter wheels and tires, take out sound deadening materials, take out carpets, if you don't listen to the radio, take the whole sound system out (including wires), switch to a lighter battery with battery mount, carbon-fiber as many body panels as you can (hood, roof, and trunk are the most significant), chuck the spare including jack, all tools and mounting hardware, switch to Lexan windows, take out all airbags (including sensors, all wiring and mounting hardware), all interior door and pillar panels, switch to lighter suspension components, lighter steering wheel, take out dash trim, power window motors, windsheild washer resevoir, power steering system, power brakes system, etc. Your car will be loud, rough, hot (or cold, depending on weather), and unsafe as a result, but it sure handles like a bitch!

j/k...
Might as well trade it in for a go kart :lol:
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
chrono
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0 8v

Post by chrono »

I love light cars. The Hyundai wieghed around 900 kg (~1984 lbs). Now that gives me... Let's see, with the original 90 hp: ~22 pounds per hp.

Well, I've never said the Accent's been a strong car :oops:
But it did handle very well.
'96 Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0L 8v
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

what i always disliked about light cars was bouncing around on the highway anytime i came withing 30 feet of a semi. in the corolla if i was passing a semi the wind would pull me towards them until i got to the cab and then suddenly push me away, so i basically had to steer away from them, then towards them, all to pass them in a straight line lol.
chrono
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0 8v

Post by chrono »

Don't remember that...
But then again, it was a long time ago, I might've just forgot.
'96 Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0L 8v
ding
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ding »

dklkse wrote:
ding wrote:on the topic of weight:

Which car would that be?

As well as the A/C, the spare tire/wheel can go, too. Just hope you don't get a nasty flat.
I know you said inexpensive, but you can also upgrade your engine and tranny components to lighter ones.
Consider carbon fiber to replace fiberglass.
It's a G35 coupe. 3500 lbs with 297hp

So... basically rip out everything that I never use, or have a very small chance of using...

Carbon fiber is expensive, no? And I hear they can be damaged quite easily. Freeways don't like me, and I've already had a rock hit my hood and a vertical, rolling hubcab hit my front lip.

Sorry to derail the thread. Go go M5s.

On another off-topic note (damn my wandering mind), anyone ever try their cars on racing tracks? I've been interested in trying to go to an event like that. I want to have some fun with the car, but I don't want to risk other people's (and my own) lives just for a thrill.