New To Manual and Fearful

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
M5
Junior Standardshifter

New To Manual and Fearful

Post by M5 »

Hey,

My wife went out and bought me a 2003 BMW M5 for our 1 year anniversary because she knows it's the car I have always wanted. I am worried, because I have never driven a manual before and I don't want to tear her up learning. Do yall suggest renting a car?

ding
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ding »

I think it's somewhat difficult to find a manual rental.

I actually learned to drive stick (and am still learning) on a brand new '06 G35 coupe, so I wouldn't sweat it that much. But what I do suggest is getting a few lessons from people in person. I had 2 lessons before I got the car and the rest I learned from people on this forum. My first lesson is when I really tore up the car (my friend's truck). So I felt bad and didn't want to do that to anyone else's car, and that's how I decided that if I was gonna jack up anyone's car, it would be my own.

If you take it nice and slow and use the resources here on this site, I don't think you'd run into too much trouble. But I definitely recommend getting someone to show you and teach you before you try it yourself. You'd think that it seems simple to learn, but after driving an automatic for a long time, it's like a whole other world. My friends give up learning after not being able to just MOVE the car.

BTW, nice car :)
Last edited by ding on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

try to find some one that will teach you for the purpose of teaching you- not for the purpose of driving the car. tahts a decent looking bimmer there 8)
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :D nice ride!

you'll be fine learning on it just keep the revs and speed down until you get the hang of it. and ask any specific questions you have here and plenty of people will be happy to help answer them.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

What jomo said, word for word :wink:
target10
Junior Standardshifter

Post by target10 »

That's one hella 1 year anniversary present. Nice score, with the car and apparently the lady :wink:
2005 chevy cavalier ls, silver. 5-spd manual, 2.2l ecotec. 15 in aluminum wheels.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Go to the Videos section and watch the videos in order. The guy in those videos is driving your car, so you could take all his pointers without modification. That should get you started off, at least. :D

Very nice car, BTW. An M5 was one of my previous dream cars :D :D
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
zender05
Senior Standardshifter

Post by zender05 »

Welcome to the site! And that's quite a lovely piece of German engineering you've got there! :)
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

In a word: bitchin'. :D

Welcome to the site! Learn on your car, because you'll get to know it best. Feel free to ask any and all questions here about everything, and we'll guide you through the process. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
julian
Senior Standardshifter

Post by julian »

That is one hell of a car, I love it, my favorite BMW! It's big, it's fast...certainly my type of car.
How much did your wife pay for that? (I bet she won't tell you lol)
How many horses? 300?
Don't worry about learning to drive a standard. It's not that hard, after a while you'll be quite comfortable shifting gears :D
and after all you have all the nice folks here on standardshift.com
And it's half past four and I'm shifting gear...
M5
Junior Standardshifter

Post by M5 »

Thanks for all the great responses. Shey paid 47,000. It's 394 HP.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

With such a powerful engine, driving standard should be a breeze for you. You could literally let out the clutch while stopped and you would start moving. Hard to stall in your car. And don't forget to watch those videos in the videos section :D
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
julian
Senior Standardshifter

Post by julian »

six wrote:With such a powerful engine, driving standard should be a breeze for you. You could literally let out the clutch while stopped and you would start moving. Hard to stall in your car. And don't forget to watch those videos in the videos section :D
I wouldn't say that...letting out the clutch while stopped makes you start moving in any car, and I think this depends on the torque your car has...a diesel on a hill will move you all the way up there with no gas ;) and I bet the M5 stalls just as easily as most other cars

@M5
I want that car, damnit...394 horses, so nice...
And it's half past four and I'm shifting gear...
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

what everyone else said :lol:

and Welcome ot the site.....

That's one hellova gift :shock:
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

I think he might be driving the most powerful car on this site, actually. I'm not sure what victim is running, though . . .

Anyone pony up to 394 HP?
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar