1st timer shifter

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Mealfits wrote:i think the problem is me releasing the clutch to quickly
yeah that can be a pain. when i first got my car i was trying to make a U turn, wheel locked to the left, gap approaching, i got on the gas hard and accidentally virtually dumped the clutch. all 4 wheels started spinning and the car just sort of rotated into the lane i was going for then i grabbed 2nd and took off. it was awesome but frightening :shock:
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

lol...dude the exact same thing happened to me last week....It was cool, but man, i was soooooo scared....there was sooo much traffic that day to lol...by the way, i made it to Boca Raton driving shift safely....i was scared but i did it lol...also i'm gettin better at realesing the clutch...i do everythin pretty good accept i still have real slow start when i go from a complete stop to get the car goin. Drivers behind me get annoyed but not as annoyed if i were to stall lol
galaxiwae
Junior Standardshifter

Post by galaxiwae »

oh gosh i agree this is a great web.

anyway yep im still a learner driver. :cry: still needing lots of guidance. with regards to this gear shifting problem, i myself have this habit of shifting the gear to gear 4 instead of reverse gear when doing parking. is there anyway to curb this problem? also, how do we actually see wat gear we are at? i mean whether im in gear 2 or 4 or 6..it looks all the same right?
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

galaxiwae wrote:oh gosh i agree this is a great web.

anyway yep im still a learner driver. :cry: still needing lots of guidance. with regards to this gear shifting problem, i myself have this habit of shifting the gear to gear 4 instead of reverse gear when doing parking. is there anyway to curb this problem? also, how do we actually see wat gear we are at? i mean whether im in gear 2 or 4 or 6..it looks all the same right?
welcome to the site :D usually if you look at the shifter after a while of getting used to the car you should be able to tell what gear it's in when looking, but really you should just remember what gear you've put it in. not sure how to help you with the reverse problem without knowing your specific shift pattern, but if it is all the way to the right just put it in neutral, push it all the way to the right and hold it there then go into gear. if you're not confident with moving the shifter into the correct gear you should sit with the car off and practice going through all the gears until you are comfortable shifting to the right place without looking at the shifter.
galaxiwae
Junior Standardshifter

Post by galaxiwae »

thank you for your advice! :)

well i've also heard that in order to get into the correct reverse gear, we could try pushing it to gear 5 first then pull it all the way down to reverse. is it better that way?
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

if it's a 5 speed and reverse is directly below 5th then yes that will work but it shouldn't be necessary. generally people put it into a forward gear before going into reverse b/c reverse grinds sometimes on their car. you should be able to just go from neutral, all the way to the right, and down.
chrono
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0 8v

Post by chrono »

Actually this shouldn't work on most cars, to prevent a person used to 6-speed trannies from shifting into reverse at high speed. So in cars with reverse under 5th you generally HAVE to shift into neutral from 5th before you can put it in reverse.
'96 Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0L 8v