1st timer shifter

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Like others said, it shouldnt take much for a car to start rolling backwards while rolling downhill.
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

hey just tried ur technique...reverse went off smoothly...backed out with no prob for the 1st tome...thanx alot...i stalled 2 times while i was on the road though lol...also i'm gonna take ya'll advice about practising starting off smoothly wit no gas cuz it worked pretty good
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

congrats! :D so what were you doing wrong with reverse exactly?
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

Mealfits wrote:hey just tried ur technique...reverse went off smoothly...backed out with no prob for the 1st tome...thanx alot...i stalled 2 times while i was on the road though lol...also i'm gonna take ya'll advice about practising starting off smoothly wit no gas cuz it worked pretty good
congratz. Just besure to not let the clutch out too much, or too fast or you'll stall ;)
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

i honestly dunno...lol......but at least i been gettin better....i just need to get better at handiling my clutch.....reversing is not as much trouble as before, thanx guys
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

hey why does the car tend to sometimes move backwards ater i come to a complete and start to release the clutch as i try to take off?...it's pretty scary especially if a car is behind me
tobigooddog

Post by tobigooddog »

heheehehe 'cause you're on an incline ;)
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

gravity? if it's a slight incline you should be alright. if it's a real hill try the hand brake method or binging the clutch to friction point before releasing the foot brake and going quickly from brake to gas.
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

lol..i dont like that at all....made me freak out a lil lol...tommrw i'll post pics of my car 8)
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Mealfits wrote:hey why does the car tend to sometimes move backwards ater i come to a complete and start to release the clutch as i try to take off?...it's pretty scary especially if a car is behind me
:lol: Or simply because, your car was in reverse gear! :mrgreen:
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

its not in reverse....i hold down clutch and brake to a complete stop.....i put it in 1st gear...then while i'm releasing the clutch and tapping on the gas it starts rollin backwards
IvyMike
Junior Standardshifter

Post by IvyMike »

Mealfits wrote:its not in reverse....i hold down clutch and brake to a complete stop.....i put it in 1st gear...then while i'm releasing the clutch and tapping on the gas it starts rollin backwards
Are you sure your car is not on a slight hill?

The other option: If you're pulling out of a driveway (or similar), remember that the engine is the heaviest part of the car, so even if your car is essentially level but you're positiioned over the curb, you can still roll back. This surprised me a few times the first few months.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

Mealfits wrote:its not in reverse....i hold down clutch and brake to a complete stop.....i put it in 1st gear...then while i'm releasing the clutch and tapping on the gas it starts rollin backwards
I'm sure you are just on a slight incline. There are many inclines out there that appears flat, but are actually not.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

Sypher wrote:
I'm sure you are just on a slight incline. There are many inclines out there that appears flat, but are actually not.
yup :) driving a manual gets you more intouch with the terrain ;) :P
Mealfits
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mealfits »

yeah the road is full of slight inclines....So far i've been wrkin to avoid this prob...I've wrkin on gettin movin quicker....i think the problem is me releasing the clutch to quickly