Welcome to Standardshift!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Welcome to Standardshift!

Post by watkins »

How about a domestically made import?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Or an imported domestic :idea:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Or an imported domestic :idea:
A French Maid? Ooh-La-La!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
clutchpedal100
Junior Standardshifter

Post by clutchpedal100 »

I am so excited for this website. Thank you so much Standard Shift. I am 30 years old and it is an honor to not only know how to drive a stick but it is my preferred type of transmission for a car. In the past 13 years I've taught at least 30 people how to drive stick as not very many from the newer generation know how to and out of those 30, more than half prefer stick shifts. It is really sad to see stick shifts become obsolete, especially in full size trucks. Let's do what we can to keep the stick shift as an option for those of us who like to drive stick. The one and only reason why stick shift could be an issue for me personally is stop and go traffic. I live in a Metropolitan city in the US that has a total population of 1.4 million people and the daily traffic is just horrible. When I have to drive my 1985 Ford F150 truck (a four speed with granny gear) in the city during heavy traffic, my foot, ankles and knees get really tired and achey after about 15 minutes. Am I crazy or do some of you feel the same way? Regardless, I still like stick shift better but I just wanted some feedback. Thank you!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ Thanks for converting outsiders to our faith and keep the campfires lit to attract more.

The only time my faith has wavered was after 1.5 hours in a line of traffic inching into an airshow. My left foot was starting to get a bit tired, I was trying to minimize clutch slippage and we were missing some of the show.

The only way to really keep Amish transmissions being offered is to go out and vote with your wallet - buy NEW vehicles with that offer Amish transmissions. I suppose if we made a campaign of walking into dealerships and inquiring about models that we know aren't available with Amish transmissions and then walking out disgruntled, the word might get back to the companies, but it would have to be done on a real large scale and might seem suddenly conspicuous after all these years of not making an issue of it. If the automakers thought that there were 20-30,000 yearly incremental sales, sales they wouldn't otherwise make if they only offered slushboxes, they might come around. Don't hold your breath.

I think that more realistically, we are more like the people in Fahrenheit 451 that cherished their memories of books by memorizing them. Find a good Amish vehicle and preserve it. Find a slushbox vehicle and make a convert out of it (THC!). Share your experiences and frustrations with the brethren on this forum.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:The only way to really keep Amish transmissions being offered is to go out and vote with your wallet - buy NEW vehicles with that offer Amish transmissions.
I suppose my car doesn't count...but OTOH I did lease that brand new VW.
I suppose if we made a campaign of walking into dealerships and inquiring about models that we know aren't available with Amish transmissions and then walking out disgruntled, the word might get back to the companies, but it would have to be done on a real large scale and might seem suddenly conspicuous after all these years of not making an issue of it.
Word.
Find a slushbox vehicle and make a convert out of it (THC!).
:mrgreen:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ashowofhands
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Outback (dad's)

Post by ashowofhands »

i dun like introductory posts, but i dislike jumping right in for my first post even more.
i learned stick about a year and a half ago. don't have much access to a car at school, but when i'm home i drive my dad's 5-spd '03 outback (and on rare occasion my mom's 6-spd '10 A4). no idea why i didn't start posting when i registered a year ago *shrug*
kthxbi
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Welcome to the SS :D :!:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ashowofhands wrote:no idea why i didn't start posting when i registered a year ago *shrug*
kthxbi
towid
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Accord V6 Ex-L

Post by towid »

Hi there:

I am new in this forum. Right now I do not drive a standard shift, but someday I will,.... someday. Nobody in my community drives a standard shift as everyone is afraid of stalling .. haha. so I want to stand out and brag about it .

I drive a 2002 Honda Accord Ex-L V6 . Hoping to get a cheap Acura vigor to learn to drive stick shift.

thanks.
No Woman deserves your tears and the one who does, will never make you cry.
ivoryandgold
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 VW GTI 6MT

Post by ivoryandgold »

Hello! I have been lurking this forum during the past few days as I just got my new GTI nearly a week ago. I began learning to drive manual about a year ago, but since then I only had a few chances to practice in friends' cars...until now!

So far, learning has been a bit more frustrating than I had expected but I'm feeling a bit more confident every time I practice. Still not driving the GTI daily as I have another (auto) car in the household to fall back on until I am ready to commute in my car.

Here are the top fears that are holding me back from just jumping in the GTI for my daily commute/errands:
  • Screwing up my launch from a stoplight and rolling back into the car behind me
  • Not launching fast enough when trying to make a right/left (especially left!) turn against traffic and missing my window, possibly causing an accident
  • Stalling during either of the above situations and somehow getting into an accident
Are these common fears among newbies? I know the first one is, but I feel like I haven't heard anyone say they're nervous about making turns against traffic. I would appreciate any feedback on this, thanks! :)
2011 Shadow Blue VW GTI Coupé | Sunroof & Navigation | 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Welcome, ivoryandgold. Shadow Blue is the best color VW has.

Those are indeed common fears. I too don't often see people mention the one about turning but I know they have it; I certainly did.

As much as I've read about those fears, I've never seen anyone post about any of them coming true. I have not heard of someone having a collision resulting from botched launches, whether it be a roll-back or a stall.

Here's two major things that helped me with my launches in my VW:

1. Using my whole foot on the whole gas pedal, rather than trying to use my toe. The bottom-hinged gas pedal doesn't like just a toe, and either way using your whole foot lets you apply more accurate pressure.

2. Pausing my clutch foot once the car begins to move.

You can read more about it in my meta-sig (linked below).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Monster
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '93 Mazda MX-3

Post by Monster »

Hi! I just started driving stick about two months ago when I was given my mom's old '93 Mazda MX-3 to drive from Illinois to Wisconsin. I learned the basics in a few days and have been figuring the rest out on the hilly 30 minute commute to and from work since then!

I am woefully uneducated when it comes to cars but having a greater connection with how my car is running when I am driving the Mazda has really motivated me to get in there and actually understand this extremely vital machine. So, I have found Standardshift as well as a number of other website and a small few car savvy friends and am on my to being less in the dark!
'93 Mazda MX-3
It's my little red go-cart.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

I like MX-3s, if I am remembering them correctly. Welcome!
ivoryandgold
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 VW GTI 6MT

Post by ivoryandgold »

theholycow wrote:Welcome, ivoryandgold. Shadow Blue is the best color VW has.

Those are indeed common fears. I too don't often see people mention the one about turning but I know they have it; I certainly did.

As much as I've read about those fears, I've never seen anyone post about any of them coming true. I have not heard of someone having a collision resulting from botched launches, whether it be a roll-back or a stall.

Here's two major things that helped me with my launches in my VW:

1. Using my whole foot on the whole gas pedal, rather than trying to use my toe. The bottom-hinged gas pedal doesn't like just a toe, and either way using your whole foot lets you apply more accurate pressure.

2. Pausing my clutch foot once the car begins to move.

You can read more about it in my meta-sig (linked below).
Thank you for the warm welcome and very helpful tips! After owning the GTI for a week, today was the first time I went out in it by myself. Great success! One stall on the street and a couple more inside the parking garage at work. Low speeds in 1st/reverse definitely seem most difficult, but I'm getting there.

I've done no-gas launches, but I've not played with revving to different target RPMs like your meta-sig suggests. Should do that next! :D I urge other n00bs here to practice no-gas launches because I'm already seeing the benefits!
2011 Shadow Blue VW GTI Coupé | Sunroof & Navigation | 6MT