Welcome to Standardshift!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Welcome to Standardshift!

Post by watkins »

The 9-3s I know arent even remotely similar to the current model.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:For all logical reasons, newer will be more reliable, plus it will have longer warranty.

How's it a best bet to go with an order vehicle of the same model. Unless there are other reasons why a given year/model is wanted, there's no point to do so.
Easier and less expensive to work on, private seller as opposed to stealership, hopefully no loan, or a small loan so you don't get the insurance rape of forced full coverage for very long, hopefully cheaper replacement parts, etc.

From the wrenching point of view:
Every vehicle I've ended up working on different generations of, the same crap is twice as hard.
New generation comes along, everything is tighter packed, more complex and usually more expensive.

Reliability isn't necessarily an issue if you buy used from a private seller who actually took great care of it.

Plus, you get the make/model you like, without that new car sticker shock and the inevitable "How bad did the dealership f*ck me over? Hmmm... Price tag says "bend over". Yep, I'd say that's pretty bad."
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

The whole point of a new car is that you don't have to work on it. Warranty covers vast majority of needed repairs. The car is more reliable overall.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:The whole point of a new car is that you don't have to work on it. Warranty covers vast majority of needed repairs. The car is more reliable overall.
Dunno about everybody else, but, #1, I do not like new cars. I refuse to trust a 3,000 lb. death machine that is controlled mostly by computer input. I also like to be able to work on my vehicles when it comes down to it, and not pay $400 because a little microchip fried... Or $300 because the key went bad and won't switch off the immobilizer anymore. Just so you know, dealerships like to charge that kind of money to program new keys for a goat.

That aside, I for one would gladly go used with a private seller to avoid hassle with a dealership.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

AHTOXA wrote:newer will be more reliable
I bet that's what all those FD owners were saying in 1992-3 after passing on those '90 and '91 turbo FCs :lol:. Boy were they wrong. I know what you're saying though, I just had to point out some lulz.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

In general, a new car really is going to give you fewer headaches and lower repair costs. Total cost is cheaper on a used car even after you have to pay for repairs. People buy a new car for these reasons:

1. Feels good, man. No used car rides like a new car, and then there's new car smell.
2. It's not a gamble. It has 100% sure known history...no question of how it was driven or cared for.
3. Known costs. You know exactly how much it's going to cost to drive and maintain.
4. Looks good. Actually, this might be reason #1. People love to show off.
5. Comes with the latest gadgets/features.
6. Can be bought in the exact configuration the buyer wants, rather than settling for what you can find.

There's certainly more but those immediately come to mind.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I think it's a tossup between two reasons: looks good and less headache/uncertainty/potential upkeep cost. Some would not consider a new car unless it offered the warranty and much lower repair cost since there is a good amount of great-looking used cars that don't have to be old dinosaurs.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Well, not everyone can even get a brand spanking new car... My dream car, to find one in new condition, you'd probably be paying upward of the original cost, especially since so few were made. I haven't even seen one, and I've been scanning every ad on autotrader within several hundred miles almost regularly. ...and every time I do, I drool. Then I spend half an hour rocking back and forth in the fetal position wishing I were employed so I could finally start saving for one.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Well, there's also plenty of great reasons to buy used instead...

1. Cost - Even an almost-new car is way less expensive.
2. Efficiency - Cars that are getting pretty old now are from an era of much more efficiency than what's been on the market recently.
3. Ownership costs - Insurance, body parts, maintenance parts, repair parts are all cheaper.
4. No worries - When you buy a brand new car you have to worry about possibly damaging it...a little door ding freaks you out. Buy a beater and you can just enjoy doing whatever you want.
5. Availability - Get cars that aren't made anymore.
6. Support - There's plenty of data on the internet, well-populated forums, Chilton/Haynes books, etc.

Again, those are just the first things I thought of.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

theholycow wrote:5. Availability - Get cars that aren't made anymore.
...and will never be made again, like my dream car.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

im sure i wont be buying a brand new car anytime soon, and in the meantime whenever i go to buy a car ill be buying used from a private seller most likely, unless i find what im looking for at a dealership.

but id love to buy a brand new car. nothing beats getting in your brand spanking new car and driving it around for a while just enjoying a brand new car. its like having sex with a virgin. you know nobody messed around in there, its all fresh and ready for you to enjoy it.

on a more related sidenote, get a E93 ///M3. or if you cant get M get a vert 135i. twin turbo 135s are not very far performance wise from the e92 ///M3s. 1 series are kinda ghey looking if you ask me, but as of lately, all bimmers been love or hate in the looks department, unlike the e46s and e39s, where everybody liked how they looked
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

comingbackdown wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:The whole point of a new car is that you don't have to work on it. Warranty covers vast majority of needed repairs. The car is more reliable overall.
Dunno about everybody else, but, #1, I do not like new cars. I refuse to trust a 3,000 lb. death machine that is controlled mostly by computer input. I also like to be able to work on my vehicles when it comes down to it, and not pay $400 because a little microchip fried... Or $300 because the key went bad and won't switch off the immobilizer anymore. Just so you know, dealerships like to charge that kind of money to program new keys for a goat.

That aside, I for one would gladly go used with a private seller to avoid hassle with a dealership.
or paying 120 for a sable key w/ fob, 70 for key w/o fob....thats why it took a while for my parents to get another key for our sable....they couldn't afford it...so my mom got left home w/o a key once...had to take my car (no prob...she can drive stick!), but she didn't want to because...it was LOUD (had issues w/ axle thingy)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

HA! My key was $235.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

HA! My key was $2. Suck it.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Used vs. new debate? Wow. Why not just drop the Ultimate Auto Forum question: Import or Domestic? :lol:

(And generally I vote used, but there are always exceptions.)