New Member from Texas

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Re: New Member from Texas

Post by mtheis »

blackwell wrote:also, i am currently in Lubbock so the only downhill i face here is the parking garage and off ramp lol. originally from somewhere in the middle, and actually it is named the center of Texas, sits just east of the heart of Texas.
Nice! I drive through Lubbock about once a year when I go on vacation... US 84 to I-27 on my way to Colorado. Also, welcome!
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:I hate the new fangled concentric slaves. My 1984 F150 had hydraulic clutch linkage with the slave on the outside of the bell housing. I changed out the clutch once and just pulled the slave off it's bracket and left it intact, then put it back on when I was done and the clutch worked perfectly without my having to bleed it or add fluid. Funny, that truck's hydraulics went nearly 300,000 miles with no fluid change or component replacement. Ah, the case for simplicity!
I can see advantages to both systems.

I liked the slave on the 1994 S10. It bolted to a hole in the bellhousing, half sticking out and half inside. Two bolts and it's out, piece of cake. I think 1994 was the last year for that on the S10, though if one was taking the transmission down for anything it should be trivial to replace the bellhousing and slave so you'd only have to deal with that concentric slave once, assuming you've got the T5 with its removable bellhousing.

It's totally external on my car.

Would it be possible to replace a clutch disc without disturbing the concentric slave cylinder by only pulling the transmission back just enough to do the job? I have no idea what kind of slack is available in that hose.
blackwell wrote:oh i know, i was kidding. it's like 0.2 mpg per 100 lbs or something i think. is that right?
In a car weighing 1800 pounds with 30 horsepower, maybe. Changing cargo (including people) weight by 100 pounds would be immeasurably small in your vehicle under most circumstances.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I think the concentric slaves have a quick release fitting for the line that in theory you can drop tranny and re-install then snap in the line and be good to go, but heard that always a little air is introduced at the snap fitting so....

Can hardly wait to hear what was wrong with the clutch, Blackwell. Soon as you find out, let us know and moreso, let us know how it is working when you get it back. Should be like a new truck.

Hey I bet you don't have a lot of rust under that Ranger. Mine is very sad with this Michigan road salt.

Can you post a photo of your ranger? Here is mine sportin the new used wheels I got from a Mercury Marquee:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
blackwell
Junior Standardshifter

Post by blackwell »

well, it was a bad clutch, they replaced it, the slave cylinder, and resurfaced the fly wheel.

got it back today, so happy :cry:

here it is:

gloss black, and it doesn't have the ugly red "edge" on it. i like the tan pinstripe on the sides though.

you are right, it feels completely different. shifting is so much smoother now that i can actually feel when the clutch engages! i love it.

sorry about that rust, if it makes you feel any better since i'm in lubbock i usually have a fair amount of dust in it after a windy day even with the windows rolled up.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Glad you got the clutch straightened out. Very nice looking truck. Those are the exact wheels I had but mine were pretty rotten with rust.
Last edited by ClutchFork on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
blackwell
Junior Standardshifter

Post by blackwell »

oh wow, and you just keep that picture on hand? kidding, i'm happy about it too. i do like yours, is that blue? like a navy blue? does it have the same grill as mine?
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

blackwell wrote:oh wow, and you just keep that picture on hand? kidding, i'm happy about it too. i do like yours, is that blue? like a navy blue? does it have the same grill as mine?
It is (or is close to) a navy blue. I do like yours very much too.
I have a bunch of pictures up on Photobucket I can grab in a hurry and post. No I have a more basic grille (and thar she is with the original wheels just like yours. Not my oil drips though.):
Stick shiftin since '77
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

You guys are making me want an older Ranger so I can beat it around on the way to the trailheads I can't get to at present.

Blackwell, how is standard cab for tall folks like us? I've got a buddy who owns a mid 90's Taco with a standard cab and I fit OK, but nowhere near great. more than an hour in it might be questionable.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Blackwell - Really good looking Ranger! I always thought that trim level looked nice, although I hated the awful Edge badge on the side. It's nice yours doesn't have that. Did you take it off yourself or did it come that way? I like the grill on it too. How many miles on it? How much did you pay for it? I was originally looking to get a Ranger until I found a great deal on a low miles 2001 S-10. I have the 2.2 4cyl with the 5 speed manual. I love it.

Why is every compact pickup on here a 2001? Something special about the year? :?

Oh, and I'll take a lot of dust in the cab any day over rust.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

ClutchDisc wrote: Oh, and I'll take a lot of dust in the cab any day over rust.
I don't care for either, but with the dust you better be sure your air filter is well seated in the housing and all hoses tight. Poor air filtration will dirty your motor oil. I had a disconnected PCV hose on my F150 one summer while travelling though a construction zone 10 miles twice a day all summer. That oil change was sent in for analysis. Lead came back at 476 ppm (normal is low double digits). :(

As for all compact pickups on this site being 2001, maybe that was the last year for hand crank windows?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

When interior and engine need replacing you're more likely to replace parts than when all structural parts have rotted away, at which point you give up and replace the vehicle. I'm with ClutchDisc, I'd take dust over rust any day.

blackwell
Junior Standardshifter

Post by blackwell »

AHTOXA wrote:Blackwell, how is standard cab for tall folks like us? I've got a buddy who owns a mid 90's Taco with a standard cab and I fit OK, but nowhere near great. more than an hour in it might be questionable.
if you forfeit your posture it's fine, can't sit straight up in it. if i have the left blinker on and take my foot off the clutch i turn the blinker off lol.

i am however long waisted (wear 34 in length for jeans) if you have long legs and a short waist you should try it.

InlinePaul: i was actually talking about the rusted rim lol. but that is a nice truck.
ClutchDisc wrote:Blackwell - Really good looking Ranger! I always thought that trim level looked nice, although I hated the awful Edge badge on the side. It's nice yours doesn't have that. Did you take it off yourself or did it come that way? I like the grill on it too. How many miles on it? How much did you pay for it? I was originally looking to get a Ranger until I found a great deal on a low miles 2001 S-10. I have the 2.2 4cyl with the 5 speed manual. I love it.

Why is every compact pickup on here a 2001? Something special about the year? :?

Oh, and I'll take a lot of dust in the cab any day over rust.
my uncle had it, never used it much. i believe he took the edge badge off. got it for high school graduation.

it has 134,816 miles on it.

so what do liters mean? is that how much gas is used in the engine?

i love my grill too, i don't see it that often. wish they had more with the honeycomb look to it.

yeah, i'd definitely have dust than rust too. the only reason i noticed it is because of the times that i've opened it and dust flew out and the change in tint on my rearview mirror lol. things don't rust very much out here, maybe the lack of moisture and salt? idk, it's nice.
InlinePaul wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote: Oh, and I'll take a lot of dust in the cab any day over rust.
I don't care for either, but with the dust you better be sure your air filter is well seated in the housing and all hoses tight. Poor air filtration will dirty your motor oil. I had a disconnected PCV hose on my F150 one summer while travelling though a construction zone 10 miles twice a day all summer. That oil change was sent in for analysis. Lead came back at 476 ppm (normal is low double digits). :(

As for all compact pickups on this site being 2001, maybe that was the last year for hand crank windows?
wow, i know where the air filter is and checked it before, it's a box type. do i just need to make sure it's snug?

(sorry this is a long post :mrgreen: )

my pickup is manual everything! lights, seats, windows, transmission, (have power steering thankfully)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

blackwell wrote:so what do liters mean? is that how much gas is used in the engine?
It's a somewhat abstract concept, although technically not. It is a measurement of the total volume of space in the cylinders if you filled them all up. You can't fill them all up. Wikipedia explains it well and has a nice graphic animation showing it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_displacement
yeah, i'd definitely have dust than rust too. the only reason i noticed it is because of the times that i've opened it and dust flew out and the change in tint on my rearview mirror lol. things don't rust very much out here, maybe the lack of moisture and salt? idk, it's nice.
Definitely the salt.

Salt itself doesn't actually corrode, really, but it greatly hastens the process, along with moisture and temperature cycling. In practice, salt is the difference between vehicles that rot away to nothing and vehicles that get little or no rust.
wow, i know where the air filter is and checked it before, it's a box type. do i just need to make sure it's snug?
You need to replace it periodically. They're between $5 and $20. You don't need any special expensive one, just one that is specified to fit your vehicle. Your owner's manual has a maintenance schedule that tells you how often you need to change it. Actually, it probably has two schedules, one for normal usage and one for "severe service". Specifically for your air filter I would suggest the "severe service" schedule, while the rest of your maintenance stuff may not require it (depending on other conditions).

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

blackwell wrote: my pickup is manual everything! lights, seats, windows, transmission,
PERFECT!

Hey, I have 34" inseam and if I want to roll the window down while waiting to make a left turn, my knee turns the blinker off too.

What if you could remount the seat a couple inches lower, or get a custome seat that is lower?

This is the air filter I recommend (they sell them at Walmart) Not your typical Fram but this one is oil wetted disposable and tight weave:
Stick shiftin since '77
blackwell
Junior Standardshifter

Post by blackwell »

InlinePaul wrote:
blackwell wrote: my pickup is manual everything! lights, seats, windows, transmission,
PERFECT!

Hey, I have 34" inseam and if I want to roll the window down while waiting to make a left turn, my knee turns the blinker off too.

What if you could remount the seat a couple inches lower, or get a custome seat that is lower?

This is the air filter I recommend (they sell them at Walmart) Not your typical Fram but this one is oil wetted disposable and tight weave:
lol

i'd be happy if the steering column came up higher, a lower seat might not help very much for me.

that's the same brand that's in my truck, just not the oil wetted. i think it's just basic
theholycow wrote:
You need to replace it periodically. They're between $5 and $20. You don't need any special expensive one, just one that is specified to fit your vehicle. Your owner's manual has a maintenance schedule that tells you how often you need to change it. Actually, it probably has two schedules, one for normal usage and one for "severe service". Specifically for your air filter I would suggest the "severe service" schedule, while the rest of your maintenance stuff may not require it (depending on other conditions).
could i just check it visually?