New manual owner from Florida

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
stickicivi
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Honda Civic LX

New manual owner from Florida

Post by stickicivi »

Hey fellow drivers. I'm a college senior and have been driving for 6 years but just learned to drive stick over the summer. I have put almost 5,000 miles or more on my 2003 Honda Civic since then. I have found it extremely engaging and fun. I have gotten a lot more interested in cars since then. Despite driving regularly for more than 3 months, I am not quite as consistent as I'd like to be, although I think I am better than some of my friend who don't drive standard regularly. I'm glad to find a site dedicated exclusively to this (now minority) lifestyle, as I want to master the skill.

I had always wanted to learn, and when I got an internship my dad bought the car and gave me a quick lesson. 3 days later I was navigating Orlando traffic barely able to take off. I have since come to appreciate my little Honda although its AC soon failed me. I hope manufacturers continue to make these cars, so I joined to support the cause so to speak.

I look forward to this community and hope to learn from the best!
2003 Honda Civic LX (manual of course)
Trex 7.2 FX (Bicycle)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: New manual owner from Florida

Post by theholycow »

Welcome! :)
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

stickicivi wrote:I had always wanted to learn, and when I got an internship my dad bought the car and gave me a quick lesson. 3 days later I was navigating Orlando traffic barely able to take off.
Welcome! I see you like jumping in headfirst rather than taking it slowly... :lol: :wink:

It's something that takes a while to learn. I wouldn't have said I was comfortable doing most normal things in my Fiesta until almost 10,000 miles had gone which took me about 3 months (I drove a lot that year, not nearly as much anymore).

Good luck with the end of college job search, hope you fare better than most people (and/or go back to school :lol: :roll: )
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Wilkommen Sie bei Standardshit!
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

WILKOMMEN :!: :!: :o :shock:
beans, did you get rid of the forte when you got the focus?? looks nice (was wondering what you were talking about last night with GDI and all that :? :) )
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:WILKOMMEN :!: :!: :o :shock:
beans, did you get rid of the forte when you got the focus?? looks nice (was wondering what you were talking about last night with GDI and all that :? :) )
Yup. Got the features I wanted, again...finally.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
das PRNDLSTICK?!? :D :P :twisted: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
das PRNDLSTICK?!? :D :P :twisted: :lol:

AH. HHHHEEEELLLLLLLL. NAH!!!!
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
what's up with no 6th gear??
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
what's up with no 6th gear??
Didn't want to insure an ST, drooled over one a bit though. Also, I don't think a Titanium would have worked with my budget, if those are even offered with 6 speeds.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport