New Members Policy

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

New Members Policy

Post by Standardshifter »

Trying something new for new members... They only have posting access to this forum for a while. Hopefully it will be a good balance between legitimate new members versus the spam hordes. Please report any spam quickly... Thanks!
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: New Members Policy

Post by AHTOXA »

I think it's a good idea for spam but bad idea for member retention. How long is "a while"? Are they able to to view other forums but not post? If they can view, that's fine but if they cannot, then I don't think it's a good idea. I know I probably wouldn't stick around if I was being put behind toddler gates, of sorts.

In some of my most-read and liked forums I have few to no posts at all.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

My issue with this would be that we get quite a few new members based on problems/questions concerning cars. I guess they can start posting them in this area, but it seems out of place overall.

But I don't run this board, so it's whatever you want to do. :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Standardshifter wrote:Trying something new for new members... They only have posting access to this forum for a while. Hopefully it will be a good balance between legitimate new members versus the spam hordes. Please report any spam quickly... Thanks!
i'm not quite sure i follow; are you saying the new members can post only in this thread until they've been members for a certain number of days or posted a certain number of posts, or something else?? if it's the former, that does seem too restrictive to me. i doubt it would mean not being able to see most of the threads/categories, as we can see most if not all of them now without being logged in (i'm not logged in half the time). on some other forums i've been on, you have to post so many times before you're allowed to make your own thread, and then there are other threads/categories where you can't post until you've made even more posts in other threads/categories. hope it works out well either way.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

Given access to this forum and driving tips with just read access to others, good point about lots of legit first posts are about a particular problem.

Always a balancing act, and just getting way too many human spam posts with a revolving custom question, basic CAPTCHA and email confirming.

See how this iteration works...
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

So out of curiosity, how long would it take for a new person to be able to move into the other forums? Although I'm glad you take our suggestions into your thought process :D
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!