Greetings from Southwest Ohio

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Subaru Outback

Greetings from Southwest Ohio

Post by mapman85 »

I've been reading this site for awhile but decided to join up in case I have a few questions. It has provided some of the most useful information from all my various Google searches. So thank you!

I'm in my mid/late 20s and decided back in September (2011) to finally say goodbye to the very reliable but aging car I had been driving since high school (2002 Toyota Corolla auto). Ever since my uncle had let me shift gears as a child in his Suzuki Samurai, and subsequently taught me to drive it one time after I got my license, I wanted a MT. Being that I currently live in a mid size town that is relatively flat, I thought now may be the best opportunity I have to "get used" to driving one. So I took the plunge on a 2009 Subaru Outback, base model with a 5MT, which had come off a lease with around 25,000 miles. Several of my friends when I lived in Utah enjoyed their Subarus, and it seemed practical for snow (not this year!) and for tossing my bike in the back without bothering with a rack. Plus I don't particularly care for the newer models, and the deal was hard to pass up.

After stalling/bucking several times on the way home for the dealership, I thought I had made the worse decision of my life! I have gotten to the point where it is mostly second nature and enjoyable, but I still get frustrated with my lack of consistency being smooth (and/or the car's quirks) and still get a little nervous with hills/traffic.

My dad has driven manuals so he can answer some of my questions, but it is still nice to find a place to seek expert opinions. I look forward to the continued helpful dialogue!

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5MT
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Re: Greetings from Southwest Ohio

Post by Warner »

Welcome and nice Subie! Buying that car before you knew how to drive a manual was a ballsy move! No worries, though; the more you get used to driving a manual, the more you'll be happy you bought one. Anyway, feel free to ask any questions you have.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Welcome!
We like us some SuperPoos around here
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Great choice on the car. Welcome!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mapman85 »

Thanks all. Love the car so far, just had (have) to deal with the learning curve.
Warner wrote:Buying that car before you knew how to drive a manual was a ballsy move!
Well, I "knew" how to drive a manual, but only had very limited experience with the footwork. A good test drive (I had the salesman take me to a quiet area :) ) probably artificially boosted my confidence as well. So yes, it was very ballsy and completely against my normal personality. In the end, I think I would have regretted passing it up more than buying it. Sometimes I almost have to pinch myself that I actually have a MT car after always wanting one. I'd say that's good!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

mapman85 wrote:Well, I "knew" how to drive a manual, but only had very limited experience with the footwork. A good test drive (I had the salesman take me to a quiet area :) ) probably artificially boosted my confidence as well. So yes, it was very ballsy and completely against my normal personality. In the end, I think I would have regretted passing it up more than buying it. Sometimes I almost have to pinch myself that I actually have a MT car after always wanting one. I'd say that's good!
Image Just like my story.

Welcome.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Welcome! I also didn't "know" how to drive manual when I bought my first car. I had learned the academic part of it, and had driven a friend's manual a few months prior for all of 5 minutes, but other than that, I was green around the gills. It was scary at first, but it was a worthy decision.
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Welcome: I am also from S.W. Ohio, in the Cincinnati area. If you pull up to behind a Grey Honda Element with a 5-Speed emblem on the back, then that would most likely be me shifting through the gears.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Welcome to the club and nice Subaru!!
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Welcome! I also didn't "know" how to drive manual when I bought my first car. I had learned the academic part of it, and had driven a friend's manual a few months prior for all of 5 minutes, but other than that, I was green around the gills. It was scary at first, but it was a worthy decision.
WERD!!!

This is my story too. I'd driven around in my friend's Mustang previously, but it was piped (as in not exactly legal) and I only ever had a chance to drive it at 2 in the morning. Was always nervous, but had some fun.

13 months after buying my Banshee, after having taken much advice from the peeps over here, I'm having a great time.

Welcome to the board, OP!!!

You're in a good place if you're a n00b, like me. :D
94Corolla5Speed wrote:green around the gills
You puked a lot?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Welcome! I'd driven my wife's vehicle (5-MT) some but not often before we ended up replacing it with the Fiesta 5-speed. No regrets at all.

Just don't be nervous if you stall. To put it in church latin: excrementus occurrus. It's no big deal, just have fun driving :D
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

tankinbeans wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:green around the gills
You puked a lot?
D'oh! I meant green behind the ears! :lol:
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mapman85 »

Thanks all for the kind welcomes.

I imagine there are quite a few people who share similar stories. One of my friends bought a MT Impreza with little previous experience. When I bought my car, the salesman told me a story of a girl who was dead set on buying a car with a MT, but had no experience driving one. He had to subsequently suffer through bad driving and this girl and her boyfriend arguing about driving techniques. So I took some solace that at least I basically knew what I was doing. :)
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

HOLY SHIT ANOTHER OHIOAN!
Head to the bunker, the apocalypse is at hand!
(J/K) What part of SW OH? Pardon my prying, just curious.
One more Ohioan to combat the Michigan we got goin' on here.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mapman85 »

Wilmington. And don't get too excited, I'm not a native Ohioan. I've only lived here 2 years and won't be living here forever. So I don't know if I have any credibility fighting the Michigan battle.