New from Georgia

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
mshanno1
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 BMW M Coupe

New from Georgia

Post by mshanno1 »

Good Morning!

As most people who probably join this site, I am new to driving a MT. I am 26, and I have always driven an automatic. I have always wanted a BMW M coupe; however, they only came with a MT. I found one about two weeks ago, I decided to purchase it, and then had my girlfriend drive it home...I will probably never live that that one down! :) I can get around town fine, I am just having difficulties making smooth shifts, and I am extremely slow getting into first. I know it just takes time to develop the proper feel for it, it just sucks that I purchased a sports car, and cant really drive it to its potential. I live in Georgia, but I am currently working Mobile, AL, so if there is anyone in the area that could help me out, I would definately compensate them for their time.

Pic of car:
2008 BMW M Coupe
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: New from Georgia

Post by Shadow »

Welcome.... nice car. Why not just get your girlfriend to give you some pointers?
mshanno1
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 BMW M Coupe

Post by mshanno1 »

I have, but she's not really the best teacher, and we end up just getting frustrated with each other...
2008 BMW M Coupe
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Okay...that makes sense. Definitely not worth getting into a fight with her.

Maybe someone on the forum is in your area and can help you out. If not, you'll definitely learn on your own as you get more experience. And of course you can always ask question here in the forum. There are plenty of experienced stick shift drivers here to answer your questions.

BTW, it's awesome that you have a girlfriend who can drive stick. I always think that makes a girl somehow a little more attractive....
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Not much to add, but welcome and nice car!
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wilkommen :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Remember,.....Rome wasn't BURNT in a day!

Go spend some quiet time with your car, in the back 40 acres of some parking lot. Practice a lot of no-gas launches - just feel for that friction point and learn your leg muscles where it is over and over again. When you get to that point where the clutch starts to transmit enough power to get the car rolling, let it out a little bit more and then pause as the car catches up to what your leg just done and then you can begin letting the clutch grab a bit more. It takes time and repeated practice sessions to learn this fine muscle control - and your throttle foot will need to learn how to be smooth and precise as well (even someone with Parkinson's Disease can drive a slushbox fairly smoothly - the torque converter soaks up imperfections).

Driving the Amish way is something all the members of this site have had to struggle to learn, but, like learning to do multivariable calcium, rocket silence or brane sugary, it can be a rewarding experience to go through the pain and anguish and come out the other side a victim.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Fit4Fun
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Fit4Fun »

Welcome, mshanno1! Please make use of the resources and advice given on this forum (such as that by Rope-Pusher, above). I found it invaluable in learning to drive my MT. I would say "good luck", but it really is a matter of practice making perfect...let us know how you do! :)
2012 Honda Fit 5MT!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650