New from Cleveland

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
JL35
Junior Standardshifter

New from Cleveland

Post by JL35 »

Hey everyone,

I made my first few posts earlier today while procrastinating at work, so I thought I'd introduce myself here, too.

Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm living in Cleveland, Ohio right now. Moved here for work March this year. Grew up in Queens, NY and went to school in Atlanta, GA until then.

I'm currently driving an '06 Infiniti G35, 6MT of course. The interior trim is kinda plasticky and likes to rattle/squeak. Also, the hard suspension is killer over the bumpy roads (which, as I found out upon arriving in Cleveland, is in no short order around here). Nonetheless, the car drives and sounds awesome. I leave the windows down most of the time because I prefer the exhaust note to the radio, esp during rev-matched downshifts :D

I am a little worried about winter though, namely snow and rust. For the former, I have a set of Blizzaks mounted on 17-inch 350z wheels, which worked pretty well in the couple of snowstorms we've had in March and April. Have yet to experience the full shebang though. As for rust, I plan to run the car through those touchless car washes or something once a week. Think that'll be enough?

Anyway, worthless w/o pics, right? Here are the few photos I have of the car. Looking forward to chatting with you guys!

And, here's my entry pass:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: New from Cleveland

Post by tankinbeans »

Welcome, again!

As for tires, I've always wanted to try a set of dedicated winter tires, but never seem to have a chance to get a set and, thus, am not qualified to answer that question. Perhaps this will be the year I finally buy a set.

Re: Rust

I've never been too much of a stickler for washing cars and mine don't seem to do too badly. Periodically, when there gets to be a layer of grime that's visible from a ways off I'll take mine through a touchless wash and it seems to be fairly good. Just make sure it's above freezing outside so you don't freeze yourself out of the car. I would think that periodic runs through a wash would be fine.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:As for tires, I've always wanted to try a set of dedicated winter tires, but never seem to have a chance to get a set and, thus, am not qualified to answer that question. Perhaps this will be the year I finally buy a set.
Same here.

I did manage to acquire a pair of heavy duty snow/winter tires for my truck a couple years ago and I'm very happy with them.

I just acquired a pair of studded old-school snow tires for my Buick...haven't had them mounted yet.

Regarding rust:
However much effort and investment you want to put into it may well be worthwhile. Rust and rot are my biggest foes, ever since I began doing all my own work. Everything that's not rotted to dust is seized.

If the car wash you will go to include undercarriage spray, great. Also whenever the weather is warm enough, use a lawn sprinkler to thoroughly rinse your undercarriage.

I'm not sure if undercoating is worthwhile. My 1980 Buick was undercoated 32 years ago and the places where it received undercoating are mostly rust-free, but it wasn't exposed to much road salt and I don't think those areas would rust on a non-undercoated car anyway. In the meantime, flare nuts (and all fasteners, actually) are all seized just like on my GMC.

My 2002 GMC has 200,000 miles. I didn't wash it for like 5 years and for 4 years most of its miles have been in the worst part of winter...and before that it had some non-winter miles but it was still what I drove in winter, and I drove in winter more than anyone I know. Fasteners are all seized. Most of my parking brake and rear disc brake system was rotted out when I started fixing that a couple months ago...blew my budget and more than a week of my time replacing (and painting for rust protection) everything. It's a damned shame.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Be aware some car washes recycle water and the quality of the filtration systems varies. A car wash may leave you washing the underside of your car with saline solution. Washing at home with a wand or oscillating sprinkler is probably the way to go.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Hey, welcome!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wilkommen und nice karr

my 03 accord hardly ever gets washed (maybe 1-2 times a year) and no rust other than undercarriage yet. that said, i'd try to wash it at least once a month or so if you really care about it (which it sounds and looks like you do). :)

yours in writing,
your former neighbor from potown
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

winter? whats that?

snow? wtf is that?

I love this winter :)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

wannabe wrote:winter? whats that?

snow? wtf is that?

I love this winter :)
This, x1000.

Actually, the suspense is killing me. I don't want it to snow but I want to know it's not going to snow...this thinking we could get snow any day now stinks (but nowhere near as much as actually getting snow would).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm gonna say it. I miss snow. But only for a day or two, just soI can drive out and play in it. Then be gone, please.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650