New from WV

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: New from WV

Post by potownrob »

Welcome aboard the SS :D
Whereabouts in WV are you?? I feel like I'm your neighbor from going to the SS meet in Parsons twice. You really should come and join us, at least for a couple of days. Bring your slushbox and we promise not to bust your chops about it (I may have a slushbox by the time of the meet by the way (sister potentially getting a new car and i'll get mom's car and she gets sister's current car). if i bring my manual accord (if i still have it), i'd be happy to let you drive it.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Sad day! I liked beating the snot out of that thing. Good old Italian tune up.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

When and where is the meet? I've done some scouring of the boards and can't seem to find any info about it... Including in the regional board.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:Sad day! I liked beating the snot out of that thing. Good old Italian tune up.
took me a hot minute to realize you were talking about my car there :lol: :oops: :D :mrgreen: :lol:
the 96 accord is still is ok running shape, but it's going to need some work in the near future: the driver's side windows are dead (would have to fix driver's door window at least; rear window is propped up); ABS shot and check engine light always on (mechanic says there were 3 codes that came up - got it to pass last august with it showing 2 codes); front axles and wheel bearings don't seem to be in good shape (very noisy); a/c is not too powerful (sucks with window stuck closed); timing belt is due for replacement; who knows how long the clutch will last (on original clutch); suspension is original too (and noisy)...
not sure if it's worth it to replace things on a 16 year old car when i can take over the 03 accord and only be paying 1-200 more per month for it. there are some parts on the 03 that are older than on the 96 - i did spend over a grand fixing up the 96 to be in okay shape - new brakes, tires, battery, radiator, plugs, headlights, wipers etc.. and it will probably last forever, but probably not worth it to me, though it would be an ideal car for a ricer or honda addict (or for just driving to the station etc). i could keep it but mom wouldn't go for that... :cry:

as for the italian tune-up (blasting music to drown out the noises) - something most would probably consider strange about me is that i usually don't play music while driving - i use the time to pray the rosary and other prayers (since i have a very hard time praying at home or in other places). even if i'm not praying, i'm so used to not listening to music while driving that i find it weird to have music on or to pull up next to a car with music on (let alone blasting). even when i used to listen to music in the car, i kept the volume rather low (not as low as my sister does though)...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:as for the italian tune-up (blasting music to drown out the noises)
That's an American tune-up. An Italian tune-up is beating the snot out of it taking it up to redline going uphill accelerating onto the highway.

I mostly require music while I drive. Without it I get so bored that I risk having an irresistible urge to do something dangerous and illegal, like drive insanely fast or text while driving or something like that to keep me occupied. Even staring out the side window instead of looking at the road isn't enough. Rowing my own gears helps but it's nowhere near enough.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:as for the italian tune-up (blasting music to drown out the noises)
That's an American tune-up. An Italian tune-up is beating the snot out of it taking it up to redline going uphill accelerating onto the highway.

I mostly require music while I drive. Without it I get so bored that I risk having an irresistible urge to do something dangerous and illegal, like drive insanely fast or text while driving or something like that to keep me occupied. Even staring out the side window instead of looking at the road isn't enough. Rowing my own gears helps but it's nowhere near enough.
ahhh...american tune-up and italian tune-up i'm afraid won't fix broken axles and cracking timing belts :wink: ...the engine runs well otherwise and revving it up now and then can be rewarding. the no music thing took some getting used to but now it truly is weird to drive with music (though i do take a break from my prayers and listen to music now and then, usually just when i have friends in the car though).
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The American tune-up will fix any noise that doesn't prevent the car from going.

The Italian tune-up will fix carbon build-up, maybe exhaust blockage, and maybe something like rusty clutch splines (per one of Rope-Pusher's stories in my project thread).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Squint wrote:When and where is the meet? I've done some scouring of the boards and can't seem to find any info about it... Including in the regional board.
Its an amazing time. Some pics from years past:

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

And right away I see my bald head setting shit on fire.

Meh, rather typical, really.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650