Hi everyone...

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Hi everyone...

Post by Shadow »

I'm glad to have found this forum. I've been driving manual transmission cars since I was 18 years old. So that's more than 20 years now. I've owned 11 cars in my life so far, and the first 10 of them were all manual transmission. I currently drive a 4Runner and it's an automatic (they didn't offer manual on my model year). After a few years of driving my 4Runner, I'm dying to get back into a manual transmission car.

So I'm thinking about picking up an Audi A5 2.0T. Does anyone here own one? I've read some good reviews, but I've never driven one before. And it seems almost impossible to find one on a dealership lot to test drive.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Hi everyone...

Post by theholycow »

Welcome!

I bet the 4runner would be relatively easy to convert... :D
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Listen to this cow guy. Thinks he's all special and such. Pfft! :lol: . Welcome! Too bad you weren't here a few months ago when my mom's 4Runner crapped the bed. You could've had some parts. :lol:
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome!

Doubt anyone here owns an A5 though.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:Welcome!

Really? Why is that? It seems plenty of the smaller Audis are manual transmissions.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

There isn't a reason in the sense that you are thinking. I just remember that none of the active and semi-active users own one.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

in fact, i don't know if we have any active AUDI owners...hmmm

btw, welcome shadow :D
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:Welcome!

Well that's a fine Audi-Do!

(I can't recall that we have any Audi owners either. Do we still have some of their red-headed step-children - VW owners - as members?)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
JusCruzin
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Post by JusCruzin »

Take this with a grain of salt, but I test drove a manual S5 (not the A5) recently and found the clutch to be difficult. However, I am an absolute beginner when it comes to driving standard shift, which is why I wouldn't put stock in what I say here. OTOH, I did note that the Audi salesman (who said he has driven manual all his life) stalled the car a couple times when parking it, and also Edmunds Insideline's review complained to some degree about the S5 clutch. Again, this is for the S5, but I would think the A5 would be similar.

At the end of the day, you need to drive the car itself to evaluate whether it is right for you. Where do you live that you cannot find a dealer with an A5 on the lot? It is a hot selling car but I saw plenty of them at a couple dealerships in southern California.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

^ Ooo, the S5 sounds like something I should try! I love tricky clutches!
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

I don't like Audis. Get a BMW!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Sounds like the same clutch that was in my 2008 VW Rabbit. It's generally agreed to be an excessively numb, touchy clutch.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

JusCruzin wrote:Take this with a grain of salt, but I test drove a manual S5 (not the A5) recently and found the clutch to be difficult. However, I am an absolute beginner when it comes to driving standard shift, which is why I wouldn't put stock in what I say here. OTOH, I did note that the Audi salesman (who said he has driven manual all his life) stalled the car a couple times when parking it, and also Edmunds Insideline's review complained to some degree about the S5 clutch. Again, this is for the S5, but I would think the A5 would be similar.

At the end of the day, you need to drive the car itself to evaluate whether it is right for you. Where do you live that you cannot find a dealer with an A5 on the lot? It is a hot selling car but I saw plenty of them at a couple dealerships in southern California.
I live in New York, just north of Manhattan. The only time you see an A5 (with a manual transmission) on a dealer's lot around here, it's one that was special ordered for a customer. It's amazing to me that none of the dealers in my area have one available to test drive.
Last edited by Shadow on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Yes! Another NorEaster! :D
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
JusCruzin
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Post by JusCruzin »

Shadow wrote:The only time you see an A5 (with a manual transmission) on a dealer's lot around here, it's one that was special ordered for a customer. It's amazing to me that none of the dealers in my area have one available to test drive.
Have you tried AutoTrader or Audi's website to locate a manual A5 in your area? You can also ask a dealer to check Audi's database for cars in transit from Germany. The one caveat is that I got the distinct impression that the software that Audi dealers use to track vehicles is primitive. Audi dealers cannot even email you a copy of the window sticker, which is frankly an amazing deficiency these days. It does track some details (including transmission) but not the full window sticker which is annoying.

It's much harder to sell a manual than an automatic; one Audi salesman said that the automatic S5's generally sell within 2 weeks, whereas a manual can languish on the lot for months before finding a buyer. And this is for a car that came only with manual when Audi first introduced it to the US market.

I guess the upside is that if you find a manual car, I would think you should be able to negotiate a good deal because the dealer should be thrilled to find a manual buyer.