New Year, New Member (and now feeling much better)

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
JusCruzin
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 BMW E90 M3

New Year, New Member (and now feeling much better)

Post by JusCruzin »

Hi, I'm the guy who posted the thread a couple days ago saying how traumatized and depressed I was after struggling to learn stick on a rental manual Miata. Well, I am now feeling much better about myself thanks in large part to the advice on this site. I just drove the Miata back to the rental car agency at the airport tonight, and felt I was finally getting a feel for the interplay of the clutch and throttle. I decided to drive the Miata back to the airport late at night so as to avoid traffic, and that definitely helped to take off the pressure at red lights since there was rarely anyone behind me. It also helped that the car's rear view mirror fell off at one point, so if there was anyone behind me, it didn't make a difference to me since I couldn't see them! I seriously considered driving the whole way back without the mirror but finally thought better of it and pulled over and reattached the mirror (this Miata has seen better days).

Ironically, the only times I stalled were on a side street near my house where I was practicing no gas launches before starting the drive to LAX. I think I force myself to focus more when driving on real streets rather than just practicing.

This board is great. Thanks for all the advice! I definitely felt a twinge of regret when turning in the Miata (that car is a lot of fun, even in the hands of an incompetent driver like me), but was top expensive to keep renting. I'm getting a Rent A Wreck manual this weekend at a more reasonable rate of $25 per day.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: New Year, New Member (and now feeling much better)

Post by theholycow »

:lol: I'll have to remember the mirror removal trick (like horse blinders) for the next person with anxiety.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote::lol: I'll have to remember the mirror removal trick (like horse blinders) for the next person with anxiety.

Horse Blinders? Is there a DOG in Hebbin that would allow such atrocities?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

OP, very glad you are feeling better about it. While learning, you will have moments like you had at the beginning and you will feel like you are getting nowhere in weeks. That will pass - always does for everyone.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650