New Year, New Member (and discouraged already)

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: New Year, New Member (and discouraged already)

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FDSpirit wrote:Those sneaky bastards!
Hey, renting vehicles with manuals for cheap was a good deal for the Amish. Anyway, if they had charged extra for being Amish, I wooda called 'em "Lousy Krauts!".
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Welcome, brother! I hope you enjoy your stay here! It'll begin to click into place with practice. Dude, props on finding a manual rental car!
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

I think the reason rental car companies don't offer manuals is because almost everyone wants an automatic rental and those who don't probably want it to learn stick shift on. XD
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

ElectroGhandi wrote:I think the reason rental car companies don't offer manuals is because almost everyone wants an automatic rental and those who don't probably want it to learn stick shift on. XD
And people tend to beat the living piss out of rental cars anyway... Can you imagine a week of some dumbshit doing 5,000 RPM clutch pops and then returning the car?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

JusCruzin wrote:I did try to just put it in neutral and practice holding the throttle at 1200 rpm or so, but the problem is that the throttle pedal just has no feel (or maybe I should say that I have no feel for it).
your already farther than most people learning to drive stick. the thing that most people dont realize is that its not the car thats making the problems, its you, the driver not knowing how to operate it properly. your past the denial stage, now you just have to keep trying and trying until you don't even think about it anymore. i know when i get into a car with a manual tranny its not even a thought of what to do anymore, your arms\legs just know what to do.
JusCruzin wrote:I agree that I just need to get over the anxiety of stalling. It's tough to go from being an exprerienced driver (in automatic) to being barely competent at starting a car from a stop in manual.
the anxiety after stalling is usually peoples biggest downfalls. they get aggravated, start the motor, and then try to launch quickly because they're mad they stalled, and then more problems arise. you just have to accept the fact you stalled, suck it up, and give it your best shot.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

comingbackdown wrote:
ElectroGhandi wrote:I think the reason rental car companies don't offer manuals is because almost everyone wants an automatic rental and those who don't probably want it to learn stick shift on. XD
And people tend to beat the living piss out of rental cars anyway... Can you imagine a week of some dumbshit doing 5,000 RPM clutch pops and then returning the car?
Couldn't someone also rev it up to 5,000 rpm in neutral and then shift to drive? I would think the manual would fare better than the automatic in that case.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

ElectroGhandi wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:
Couldn't someone also rev it up to 5,000 rpm in neutral and then shift to drive? I would think the manual would fare better than the automatic in that case.
Yeah, sure... But I've never known anybody who actually did that. People mostly just slam the pedal down and go with an auto... But with a rental car it gets driven like they stole it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Some (Lots?) of Slushboxes won't let you do a "Neutral Slam" - Things were changed to protect the innocent.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"