New from NE

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
lobofoto
Junior Standardshifter

New from NE

Post by lobofoto »

Hello from Nebraska!

Glad to see there's a site dedicated to manual transmissions. I learned on an '84 Bronco II, moved on to a 5-speed '97 S-10 4.3L (back when you could get gutsy engines with manuals in a domestic 4WD pickup), then traded that in for an '04 WRX sedan. Automatics are boring, no? Plus, the sluggish response of anything with a torque converter is downright frustrating ("manumatics" included).

Thanks! It's great to be here!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: New from NE

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome!

Most of us don't hate automatics and think they have their justified (but limited) use, such as a dragstrip or in heavily nodded rock crawlers. However, the reason most of us are here is because we prefer the control of a manual. Some prefer it for fuel economy, some for spirited driving and other have their own reasons.

Bottom line - enjoy!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ Speak for yourself, "Friendly-Boy"! Most of us Amish hate slushboxes and their owners with a passion. They really don't deserve to exist. First they automate shifting, and then what's next?.....automated throttles? ....automated crash-avoidance braking?....autonomous vehicles? No, we say this is heresy and it stops here and it stops now!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I've never had an automatic that failed to downshift to the lowest possible gear when I step on the go-pedal too much, and in fact one of the biggest functional reasons I like manuals is that I can step on the accelerator hard in a higher gear...though my main reason is that I just enjoy shifting.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD