Whats up guys?

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
dangler
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: Dad's Legacy GT VF52

Whats up guys?

Post by dangler »

Whats up guys? Been a lurker here for a pretty long time, probably since I was 13.

I was always fascinated by cars growing up and my dad is also a car enthusiast. My dad's always had a manual car and is a big proponent for driving stick. I'm 16 (17 in three months 8) ) and as soon as I got my permit 9 months ago, I started to drive stick. My dad has 2007 Subaru Legacy GT, Stage 2.5 with a VF52, new struts, springs, up-pipe, down-pipe, exhaust, etc. It's a five speed, of course! I'm pretty confident in driving stick now. I have the rough start once in a while, and occasional rough upshifts, but generally I'm pretty smooth. I've saved from by job the past four years and hope to get a pretty decent car when i get my license!

Besides driving and cars, I'm a very competitive hockey player, playing at a pretty high level. I also love music, and am learning to play the guitar! Because of hockey and work, I probably drive around 200 miles a week, but I don't mind it cause i love driving stick! Anyways, looking forward to learning more about driving stick and just meeting a bunch of cool people!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Whats up guys?

Post by watkins »

do your balls hang low
can you tie 'em in a bow

Sorry...

Welcome! Im a Viggenator. I, unlike my fellow Viggeneer, do not eat babies.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome!

I suppose I am the resident goat driver. We have two more.

So, how'd you find us?
Last edited by AHTOXA on Tue May 25, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

And by "driver" he means "buttsexer"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Hey, don't scare the new guy. I love me goat and I'm not sharing the pipes. :lol:
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
dangler
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dangler »

Haha part of the reason I've always loved reading this forum! Everytime I read the boards I always get a nice laugh out of some of the posts. :lol:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

So what kinda car are you looking to get then?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
dangler
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dangler »

Not really sure yet. I have like 8500 in the bank right now. My parents want me to do like a 4000 dollar down payment and then have me pay payments. They want me to look anywhere from like 11,000-14,000 for cars. It's more up to me since I need to pay for everything. My parents biggest concern (mom) is safety. Obviously, I would like a car that is fun to drive. I was looking at like a Mazda3 (sister has one and parents are pleased with it), Scion tC, Civic, and some more (all used). Any recommendation?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Well, give us some more criteria that you have for the new car, aside from safety, and it'll narrow down recommendations.

Seems like you are looking for more of a commuter car that will be easy on the wallet. Hatch? How many doors? Brand preference/country of origin? Motor size you like/want/need? FWD or RWD preferred? What's the primary use of the car and what are your overall expectations?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
dangler
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dangler »

I'd prefer a hatch or coupe. I wouldn't mind a four door. I'd prefer a foreign car over a domestic car. I want a smaller car, but wouldn't be adverse to looking towards mid-size. FWD, RWD doesn't really matter, I'm mainly looking at FWD due to budget though. I'm looking for car that would be fun to drive, but won't kill my wallet with gas and will be reliable enough to get me to work, practice, school, and my friends' houses. It will also need to be able to survive a few road trips a year.

My top cars right now are probably a Civic Si, a VW GTI, or a Mazda3. I've driven my friend's Civic Si and the six speed was really nice and smooth. The problem is finding a non-abused one in my price range. I've driven my cousin's GTI and like the handling and interior of the car over the Civic. The clutch in the GTI is really strange and feels video-gameish. My sister has a Mazda3, but it's an automatic. I enjoyed the ride, but would need to drive a manual to get a true feel of it. I also would prefer a coupe or hatch. Those are at the high end of my price range.

In the middle and low end of it, are the Scion tC and a normal civic coupe. I haven't driven either of these, but am trying to find a way to drive them.

Sorry for the novel :P
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Welcome! Can't lie, once I read "Dangler" I loled.

And if you can swing it/guilt him into it, buy your dad's car! It sounds sweet.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Welcome! I be the resident Si driver. If you're looking for an Si, it's gonna be tough. I say try and get an EM1 or an EP3. The FA one disappointed me because of how big that car got :( . But that's just me. If you get a chance, take one of the new ones out for a spin. But also be aware rocking that Si badge sadly brings unwanted attention from retards. VW GTI is also a great choice, too.
eggwich delfiero wrote:Welcome! Can't lie, once I read "Dangler" I loled.

This :lol: :lol:
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

A used Mazdaspeed3 should be just in your price range. Saying the Speed3 is fun is a gross understatement. :twisted:

Oh yes, and Welcome to the site! :)
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

dangler wrote:I've driven my friend's Civic Si and the six speed was really nice and smooth. The problem is finding a non-abused one in my price range and the insurance at that age is probably rape
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Yeah. Insuring a newer one might be a hassle. If that fails, might I suggest a 7th generation Corolla? Sure. It isn't the coolest car in the world, but they're damn reliable.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.