Erm..

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
keravnosdrakien
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2001 NB Mazda Miata

Erm..

Post by keravnosdrakien »

Hi!

I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now while trying to find a manual car to try standardshifting on.

It hasn't been too hard so far, but seeing as I've only had my license for 4 months, it wasn't much of a transition. I just obtained a 2001 NB Mazda Miata LS in Midnight Blue. After bucking like crazy for a day or two, I think I've got the hang of it.

All in all, it's pretty good so far, hill starts still scare the life out of me and in first sometimes I'll stall but I'm liking it so far. Any tips or suggestions I should know about?

-Jon

-edit: I've probably got 30 miles under my belt at best so it doesn't seem too bad!
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Re: Erm..

Post by 4onthefloor »

keravnosdrakien wrote:I just obtained a 2001 NB Mazda Miata LS in Midnight Blue.
Uh, oh! Don't let Cosmin get word of that.

As for hill starts. Try the handbrake method: Hold the handbrake up (with the release button held in) so you can release your foot from the brake, bring the clutch up to the friction point, drop handbrake add throttle and go.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
keravnosdrakien
Junior Standardshifter

I'm not sure why, but first time I tried the handbrake method, I stalled. I think it was because I didn't add enough gas and let the handbrake go too late :'D. I've only had one opportunity to try it after that and it worked so good. :D
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Yeah, don't let Cosmin find out :lol: . Just remember that if you use the handbrake method, you need to actually feel the car "bite" before you release the handbrake and go. If not, you'll still keep rolling back a little. What 4onthefloor said is right, but I just wanted to add that little piece of info. I use it to back out of my friend's steep driveway.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome, man. Sounds like you're doing pretty good.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the site. As you might have guessed, I am Cosmin :mrgreen:
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Cosmin will rape your car then take it from you.

On that note, I am one of the resident Viggen drivers. We are better than everyone else. I lied. Actually, our cars are just more quirky.

Welcome!
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Those Saabers. Gotta watch out for 'em. Welcome to the site! I guess I'm the resident Si driver. I don't fall into the typical d-bag, moronic ricer category though.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Yeah, we rape your womens and steal your babies and eat your ice creams!
beowulf80
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 2SS Camaro

Post by beowulf80 »

Welcome to the site, glad to have you here! Sounds like a beauty of a car.

For hill starts I don't like the handbrake method, you're trading fancy footwork for fancy handwork. Personally I like the following method: With your right foot on the brake simply clutch up to where the friction point is just beginning. After some flat no-gas starting a couple times you should know what it feels like. Then in one quick action move your right foot from the brake to the gas, feathering (not stomping) the throttle. Just as soon as your foot is on the throttle you can let the clutch out just a bit more until you're moving forward. At worst you'll roll back an inch or two, once you're more practiced you should not roll back at all and have a nice smooth lauch.

To note, if you hit the throttle too hard DO NOT compensate by letting the clutch out really fast while keeping your foot on the throttle. Smokey burnouts are fun, but not when you aren't planning it. That's what I did the 3rd or 4th time I tried this method, felt like an idiot in the middle of an otherwise quiet neighborhood.
FDSpirit wrote: I guess I'm the resident Si driver. I don't fall into the typical d-bag, moronic ricer category though.
Well, you can form intelligent, logical arguments with minimal use of the word "Yo" so I think that was a given....=]
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

I can't help it if I like tender baby meat. It's quirky. (EDIT: Sorry, we STEAL the babies, and EAT the ice cream. Got it.)

Welcome to the site! We need to see some pictures of your car. Also, if you haven't yet, check out the FAQ pages (both linked below in my sig) for loads of good reading / tips / tricks for the new stickshifter.

Hope you continue to enjoy the drive 8)
keravnosdrakien
Junior Standardshifter

LOL. I stalled twice today and this guy in an autotragic Lincoln Town Car flashed his high beams at me ._.
He gunned it right after and had to stop at a red when my light turned green anyways :'D
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

:lol: . It happens. Main thing is to not get frustrated, which it seems like you didn't :P . Don't worry. In time, you'll be taking off before most of those idiots realize the light is green. :o
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Welcome. Sounds like you're doing great.

I found the handbrake method to be too complicated and attention-dividing when I was learning. Only after I was good at hill launches without the handbrake did I become good at the handbrake method. Now I use it when I feel like it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
keravnosdrakien
Junior Standardshifter

I still get scared by hills and the thought of rolling back even when no one is behind me, so I use the handbrake method for all hills, even my own driveway. XD I think after I get better at launching quickly (still getting used to the friction point) I'll be able to launch without the handbrake up haha.