Hey

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
chris52
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '94 Mustang GT

Re: Hey

Post by chris52 »

Well, I'm getting used to the clutch. Got some no gas starts today as well as some smooth launches. Now to work on some throttle control, I'm used to just jamming the pedal down in my underpowered auto. :)
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Yeah. Throttle control is definitely a tough one coming from driving an automatic. It definitely took me a long time to learn how to control my loud foot.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
chris52
Junior Standardshifter

Post by chris52 »

I just drove my friends mazda3...or maybe it was a mazdaspeed3, I'm not too sure. His clutch feels about 10x lighter than mine. Just wondering...is the stiffness of factory mustang clutches comparable to that of a mazda3? Just wondering because I'm sure I'm going to be deciding on a new clutch within the next six months due to wear and tear...

Also, his clutch engaged a lot sooner than mine which made getting it into gear much easier, is clutch engagement point adjustable?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Mustang clutches are reportedly quite heavy.

Your Mustang may have a linkage clutch, which I'm pretty sure is adjustable. If it's hydraulic then it may need to be bled.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

chris52 wrote:I just drove my friends mazda3...or maybe it was a mazdaspeed3, I'm not too sure. His clutch feels about 10x lighter than mine. Just wondering...is the stiffness of factory mustang clutches comparable to that of a mazda3? Just wondering because I'm sure I'm going to be deciding on a new clutch within the next six months due to wear and tear...

Also, his clutch engaged a lot sooner than mine which made getting it into gear much easier, is clutch engagement point adjustable?

Our clutches are heavy. For me the heavy clutch made it easier to modulate the clutch pedal and learn to release it more gradually.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

I sat in a Mazda3 at a dealership, and compared to even my Civic, that clutch is pretty damn light :shock: .
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
chris52
Junior Standardshifter

Post by chris52 »

Yeah it's not really the weight as much as the high engagement point that is making it difficult to get the car moving in a reasonable amount of time. I read somewhere that you can pull the clutch up and it will auto adjust, so I'm going to try that although from what I read it doesn't help much.

It was a ms3.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

The other day I drove a new lancer and its clutch was the lightest I have ever seen. Even thr rabbit's clutch was heavier. It was so light that I literally felt no resistance under my foot. I hated it, frankly.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Lighter than the Rabbit. Holy crap.