YIKES - My First Standard Shift!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: YIKES - My First Standard Shift!

Post by theholycow »

You can control when you shift with an auto, even without tiptronic/etc. What you can't do is control shifting separately from throttle. THAT is what's most annoying about it. The only way to minimize that annoyance is by driving an auto that's programmed for your personal style.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

theholycow wrote:You can control when you shift with an auto, even without tiptronic/etc. What you can't do is control shifting separately from throttle. THAT is what's most annoying about it. The only way to minimize that annoyance is by driving an auto that's programmed for your personal style.
correct. amount of throttle on an auto determines when you shift. the farther the gas is pushed in, the higher revs you'll achieve until the computer tells the tranny its time to shift. thats one of the reasons manuals are so efficient. you can go WOT in a high gear at low rpms and you can save gas like a mofo. my father still believes that driving this way will destroy your engine...cant teach an old dog new tricks i suppose
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

LHOswald wrote:my father still believes that driving this way will destroy your engine...cant teach an old dog new tricks i suppose
People of all ages believe that fallacy, and also that it will use more gas instead of less (because it's called a "gas pedal", even though it's really an air de-restrictor).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

theholycow wrote:(because it's called a "gas pedal", even though it's really an air de-restrictor).
I think I like the sound of that. Press the air de-restrictor pedal!!!
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

paul34 wrote:ADRP is not a TLA, FYI.
That would be a FLA, IIRC.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

paul34 wrote:I'm sure that when he was learning to drive, knocking and pinging were still something that was very possible, and thus, going WOT in a higher gear at low RPMs could indeed do a number to your engine.
my car doesn't have o2 sensors and i dont think it has knock sensors either. but either way, he can suck it
My dad is the same way. Once I went to maybe 4.5k in my sister's (slush) altima a few years back while trying to get to speed on the highway, and he nearly freaked out, telling me the carburetor will catch on fire. It was a 2004 Altima!
i hoped you told him that the last carbureted automobile that was made was the 1994 Isuzu Rodeo...
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

thats how it used to be with me, but now i figure he's 50 and he's been smoking since he was 14 (just quit last year) so he's gotta go sometime soon. better argue with him now while the gettins' good!