New to standardshift.com

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Re: New to standardshift.com

Post by Warner »

Welcome! I have lots of family in Germany. I've only been there once, but I loved it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:I don't agree that this suits a Mustang or most other cars, but as long as you enjoy it, it don't matter worth a salt lick what I or others think. I just hope you reconsider some options maybe.
This. In its entirety.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

eggwich delfiero wrote:Talk about my planned but still imaginary mods? Don't mind if I do! :lol:
(A wiser man than me once said that talking about mods you haven't done yet is akin to talking about women you haven't focked yet. I agree with this, but am doing it anyways.)
Ever seen the Phat Chick Mondays thread? :twisted:
First off, the biggest improvement I or anyone can make is tightening the nut behind the wheel
It's "The best nut to adjust is the nut behind the wheel".
buy a tuner and a cold air intake
Tune, CAI, and exhaust go together. Not sure about a handheld tuner, either...AFAIK they cost no less than a custom tune and a custom tune is better. The customized handheld sounds interesting but nothing beats doing some data collection during your normal driving and handing it off to the guy who's going to do your programming.

For the V6, I'd check if the intake and/or exhaust are the same as is stock on the V8; if so, no need to change them and maybe no need to get a tune. If it's good enough for the power from a stock V8 it should be plenty for a V6.

Ford probably has some decent engineers. You can expect them to have designed the intake, exhaust, and programming to match the engine pretty well. They do have to compromise a little for cost and noise, but these technologies are very mature and it doesn't take much cost to make a quiet system that flows everything that the engine can flow. If you get tuned, you may squeeze more out of the engine (sacrificing some comfort, driveability, or longevity) and then you may exceed what the OEM intake/exhaust can flow well.

If you just get a CAI or just get an exhaust, you're probably wasting your money.
5. Battery relocation kit: I know I may take some grief for this, but I do believe in it.
Is it controversial? I've never seen anyone disagree with it, but I don't deal in performance discussions that much. Better weight distribution = better handling, that's pretty well agreed. The 2010 Camaro comes with the battery in the trunk for that reason.
8. Shorty antennae, just to floss: :P
http://www.brenspeed.com/8inantenna.html
Forget spending money on an antenna. Here's a few options for free:
1. No antenna. I can still pull in some local stations but I never listen to radio anyway. Removing the antenna improves reception of my FM transmitter for my mp3 player.
2. Relocate antenna. I don't know how well this can work for a Mustang, but for some vehicles you can very easily relocate it under the hood, running along the edge of the fender just below where the hood meets the fender. Some reduction in signal.
3. Cut antenna. Some antennas are friendly to this; you yank the ball off the top, cut the antenna, then reattach the ball. People report cutting them pretty short and losing nothing.

The most important thing about changing the car is to think critically about it. Is a change really going to improve on what world-class engineers with huge budgets accomplished? Is it really going to change it enough to be worth the money you're going to spend on it? When the answer is yes, enjoy. When you're not so sure, maybe you could save your money for a sure thing.

eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

buy a tuner and a cold air intake
Tune, CAI, and exhaust go together. Not sure about a handheld tuner, either...AFAIK they cost no less than a custom tune and a custom tune is better. The customized handheld sounds interesting but nothing beats doing some data collection during your normal driving and handing it off to the guy who's going to do your programming.

For the V6, I'd check if the intake and/or exhaust are the same as is stock on the V8; if so, no need to change them and maybe no need to get a tune. If it's good enough for the power from a stock V8 it should be plenty for a V6.

If you just get a CAI or just get an exhaust, you're probably wasting your money.
[/quote]

I believe (but I don't know) that the V6 does have different exhaust and intake kits. Not sure though.
On the GT, the consensus seems to be that the exhaust is free flowing enough that it doesn't become restrictive until you get over 500 HP. Thus, people focus on increased air intake. Again, not sure about the V6 though.

Buying a handheld tuner is more or less the same as buying a tune from a tuner (awesome sentence), you just have it stored locally so you can switch it and have other tunes. Of course, you can make up your own tunes too, but I wouldn't attempt that. Instead of the guy just plugging his handheld into your car, he plugs your handheld into your car. And if you have a factory warranty still, you want to have a stock tune on hand to use as well. The dillership will know your system has been reflashed, but they won't know what tune was on it before. "I disconnected the battery for some reason or another for more than five minutes" is all you need to cover your tracks.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter

Oh, and yeah, I don't think people disagree that battery relocation doesn't work, just that it isn't necessarily the most effective mod for the money. Hard to argue with the logic of it...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

eggwich delfiero wrote:Buying a handheld tuner is more or less the same as buying a tune from a tuner (awesome sentence), you just have it stored locally so you can switch it and have other tunes.
Maybe there's nothing like EFILive for Ford. For GM V8s, you can plug in a thing that collects data about how YOU drive in your traffic situations with the gas you buy and the little idiosyncracies of your car. Then an expert can review the data and do a completely custom one-off program for you based on that data and your specified preferences.
http://www.blackbearperformance.com
It costs about the same as buying a handheld but the results are far better.
eggwich delfiero wrote:Oh, and yeah, I don't think people disagree that battery relocation doesn't work, just that it isn't necessarily the most effective mod for the money. Hard to argue with the logic of it...
Oh...is it expensive? I figured it was rather cheap.

eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter

Hmm, regarding the blackbear thingy, I honestly don't know if the tuners actually log data; SCT makes cheap ones and some real expensive ones, so I'm guessing it's an option. I guess my info is biased toward the socalled performance forum dude's perspective; all they write about using it for is to increase throttle response, shift points, and recalibrating the speedometer for bigger wheels or shorter rear gears. Doesn't mean that's all it does though.

The battery relocation really isn't expensive (maybe $300), there's just many other more noticeable things you can do with that three bills.

And dude, that girl with a pig and sausages pic kinda freaked me out. :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

eggwich delfiero wrote:And dude, that girl with a pig and sausages pic kinda freaked me out. :lol:

eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter

You know what I'm talking about, Allofftopic! :lol:

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Image I had to go back and look for it...oh my! Image

ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Yea THC that pic was cute.
07_Mustang V6
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Mustang V6

Post by 07_Mustang V6 »

Haha Ahtoxa I was kidding about all the carbon fiber spoiler stuff. I was being sarcastic towards the ricer comment :) I'm still reading your post delfiero thanks!
2007 Mustang V6 5spd.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

07_Mustang V6 wrote:Haha Ahtoxa I was kidding about all the carbon fiber spoiler stuff. I was being sarcastic towards the ricer comment :) I'm still reading your post delfiero thanks!
Great relief. :mrgreen:
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

btw
talk about gigantic contact patch
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

LHOswald wrote:talk about gigantic contact patch
Probably not. Wide contact patch, for sure. I bet it's not as long as a narrower tire's contact patch, given the same inflation pressure...