introductory posts SEEM easy...

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: introductory posts SEEM easy...

Post by theholycow »

sasquatch wrote:It's really, really good to know that 1st and Reverse are most likely not synchronized, and it makes a lot of sense with how my car's been reacting, especially reverse, when shifting. I suppose I should start practicing my double clutch skills? (Although I don't know how it'd affect reverse, since I usually would only reverse in a 3 point turn situation usually..)
You'll need to DC 1st if you plan on accelerating immediately. If not, it should suffice to just wait a few seconds stopped with the clutch pedal down before trying to engage 1st. At least, I think...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: introductory posts SEEM easy...

Post by LHOswald »

theholycow wrote:
sasquatch wrote:It's really, really good to know that 1st and Reverse are most likely not synchronized, and it makes a lot of sense with how my car's been reacting, especially reverse, when shifting. I suppose I should start practicing my double clutch skills? (Although I don't know how it'd affect reverse, since I usually would only reverse in a 3 point turn situation usually..)
You'll need to DC 1st if you plan on accelerating immediately. If not, it should suffice to just wait a few seconds stopped with the clutch pedal down before trying to engage 1st. At least, I think...
if your trying to get into first quickly while at a stop, just throw it into 2nd. once your at a stop, it will go into 1st the same as if you just started the car.

also it is technically possible to rev-match reverse, but the idler gear would make it virtually impossible since it is physically engaging the teeth on both the layshaft and reverse gear of the transmission. you would have to be spot on to get it in. and when i say spot on, i mean like within 10 rpm range difference between the gears.