hey everybody

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Re: hey everybody

Post by vedran »

welcome to the forums. great looking car
Roymond wrote:Wow your Jetta is so much better than the one I drove on Saturday... hah
wut? that's a passat
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
pizzawednesday
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pizzawednesday »

Thanks for all the advice about smoothing out upshifts a little with the clutch. I went driving for a couple hours straight today and my shifts were feeling great by the end. I think I just needed to be a little more fluid on the way back up with the clutch. I don't really do a ton of easing but before I was trying to punch the pedal right down and right back up and it seems kinda obvious now that that would make it rough haha. I've been double clutching my downshifts occasionally too when I have time, feels cool and super smooth when I do it well, takes me more time than just a single clutch rev match but I think it just needs practice. I'd like to try heel and toe but I can't get my foot in the right spot even just sitting the driveway so I dunno, maybe it's my pedals.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

pizzawednesday wrote:Thanks for all the advice about smoothing out upshifts a little with the clutch. I went driving for a couple hours straight today and my shifts were feeling great by the end. I think I just needed to be a little more fluid on the way back up with the clutch. I don't really do a ton of easing but before I was trying to punch the pedal right down and right back up and it seems kinda obvious now that that would make it rough haha.

actually if your rev matching any shift correctly you should be slamming and dumping the clutch. the only reason you shouldn't be slamming and dumping the clutch is if your revs are off or your not accelerating/decelerating at a constant rate, so its hard to judge where the revs should be.

I've been double clutching my downshifts occasionally too when I have time, feels cool and super smooth when I do it well, takes me more time than just a single clutch rev match but I think it just needs practice. I'd like to try heel and toe but I can't get my foot in the right spot even just sitting the driveway so I dunno, maybe it's my pedals.

for more information on how to double clutch, go to FAQ 2.0 or watch this video
pizzawednesday
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pizzawednesday »

Yea I wish I could drive like that. Well I'll keep working on it, thanks again for the advice. And I had a turkey sub for dinner?
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

GODDAMN! I love VW interiors. I don't know why but I do.

Oh and I'm one of the resident Canadians, and one of the main ones I think.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
pizzawednesday
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pizzawednesday »

Oh I did for lunch, wouldn't miss it. I had no idea why you were asking at first though
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Nice car!
I like the shifter.

I'm the resident smartass.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200