Hello a Newbie Here.

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
911TT
Junior Standardshifter

Hello a Newbie Here.

Post by 911TT »

Hello I am new here.

I have been driving a Audi S5 V8 6-speed for the past year and recently changed my car for a 09' 911 Turbo. The issue I am having is that there is a huge difference driving one from another. For example the Audi included a electonic park brake which was very usefull for an uphill so the car would deactivate the park brake once the car is in motion so the car wont rollback downhill. So bassically I never got used to getting the clutch out in the right timimg. Now my new car doesnt have this feature so now I will need to practice on an uphill so my car wont roll back, plus this new car has the engine in the back of the car making more difficult.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Re: Hello a Newbie Here.

Post by ColJessip »

Welcome to SS, I am the resident Porkchop.
Bemvindo a SS, eu sou o residente Porkchop.

Pictures are manditory. I suggest a nameplate too, to get rid of the doubters.

The hill starts take practice.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Great taste in cars, if I do say so. Welcome!

Because you don't have the electronic parking brake in the 911, you've got to either use the handbrake while launching on a hill - which if the hill is steep enough, I will use this method - or you can learn to quickly move your right foot off the brake pedal and onto the gas - quickly but accurately - in harmony with your clutch foot.

Both likely introduce a new technique/aspect to driving and both tend to take practice.

I use the handbrake when I'm going to be sitting at a light for a long while (hill or no hill), or if the incline is very steep to avoid the quick rollback and hence save the clutch a little bit. If the incline is relatively slight I will just keep my foot on the brake until it's time to go and then quickly transfer my feet to the appropriate positions.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Welcome. Maybe Tinton will chime in about mid-engine cars, he's got a few.

As for hill starts, padauk_dust described two very good options. Another is to bring the clutch out until it starts to partially engage (just enough to hold the car) then quickly go from brake to gas. Once you're comfortable with your car's clutch and gas, you don't have to do it for long, making your clutch take only a split second longer wear than usual. On mild to moderate hills, that's easiest and most effective for me.

Your flat 6 ought to provide plenty of idle torque for that strategy.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
911TT
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 911TT »

Thanks for the replies. Here is a picture by the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
911TT
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 911TT »

Here is a picture of the audi I used to have which i basically learned in. I am right now a a point where I dont get stalled or jerking. I can drive pretty decent but need to master the skill even more like rev matching, uphill start, muscle memory towards my new clutch. These are some of my issues which I need to master.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

I f**k love S5's they are so goddamn sexy. You are so lucky. S5 is one of my dream cars. Any more pics of the S5?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Welcome to SS! Awesome cars, post more pics! :D
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Hmm... Saw an A5 on the highway today
911TT
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 911TT »

Here are some more pictures.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Welcome. Looking at that 911 Turbo makes me giddy like a school girl. White was a really great color choice for that car in my opinion. I think it's safe to say the majority of the forum is jealous. :)

Anyway, for the hill starts you should probably start by using the hand brake while you're launching. Just pull it up with the button held in to hold you in place while you're launching normally. Once you feel resistance (i.e. you have some forward momentum) release the hand brake and you shouldn't roll back at all.

Another alternative that I sometimes use when the hill isn't too bad is a kind of heel-toe type launch where I have the ball of my foot on the brake while my heel presses the gas and my left foot lets up on the clutch. Once I start to launch I just let go of the brake and slide my foot back fully to the gas pedal and I don't roll back at all.

More pics are very much welcome! (especially of the 911 Turbo!)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Warner wrote:ball of my foot on the brake while my heel presses the gas
If the 911 has a bottom-hinged gas pedal, that won't work, but the other HT positions (heel on brake, toe on gas; or toe straddling brake and gas) might.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :) use the hand brake for hill launches. you'll basically do the same thing the Audi did for you, just have to do it yourself.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Warner wrote:More pics are very much welcome! (especially of the 911 Turbo!)
welcome :) i agree with warner, more pics of the 911T :)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
911TT
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 911TT »

All I have are from the delivery of the 911TT but I will take more.