Hi

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
nauy
Junior Standardshifter

Hi

Post by nauy »

Hi All, I'm from maryland, came across this website by searching for an answer of the problem on my 2003 camery. I sent my car to toyota dealer for a 60k miles service, two days later after I took back my car when I started up the car, thick black smoke came out of the pipe, that never happened before. I brought back my car back to the dealer 3 weeks later, I didn't take that seriously at the begining, but the black smoke came out every morning. Their mechanist said my car engine is too dirty, needs a deep cleaning, that will cost $2000. I'm wondering how could this happen, my car works very well before, engine oil just flushed and changed, your thoughts will be appreciated.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: Hi

Post by wannabe »

Hi! i will let some of our other toyota drivers answer this...they might know the answer.

and i don't think it should cost 2k to clean an engine...but what do i know :P
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Welcome to SS, I am the resident Porkchop.
Bemvindo a SS, eu sou o residente Porkchop.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Saluti amico

I am also from Maryland. I like that.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Black smoke is usually excess fuel.

Is this only after shut down, or does it smoke the whole time it is running?

Injector sticking / leaking fuel while engine is off?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

How hard do you typically drive the car? My experience has been that black smoke problems in cars that are usually driven gently can sometimes be improved by an "Italian tune-up."

Drive the car around until the engine and transmission are in the normal operating temperature range. Find a nice, open highway entrance ramp and accelerate briskly up it, delaying your shifts longer than usual, but still within your comfort range below redline. Repeat until there's no trail of soot behind the car as you're doing it.

If that doesn't work, you can try some fuel system cleaners or start looking for a leaking injector.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site :)
IMBoring25 wrote:Drive the car around until the engine and transmission are in the normal operating temperature range. Find a nice, open highway entrance ramp and accelerate like a banshee up it, going WOT to redline in each gear. Repeat until you're exhausted or you run out of gas.
there, that's better. :lol:
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That might work too...
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Hey welcome.

Weah, what these guys said.
Black smoke equals unburnt fuel.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Have you seen a check engine light? If not, have you tried scanning it regardless to see if any codes may be there?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
nauy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by nauy »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Black smoke is usually excess fuel.

Is this only after shut down, or does it smoke the whole time it is running?

Injector sticking / leaking fuel while engine is off?
thanks for your reply. smoke came out only when I started up the car, and only happen when the car has been parked a rather long time, say 7 hours. the mechanist said that since i didn't change engine oil frequently, (before I did every 3k-5k, this time is 6-7k), the valve seal may leak, and the black smoke accumulated in engine, so they have to replace the engine pipe, and deep cleaning the engine, that will cost $2000. I don't understand why this could happen, my car has no smoke before, and they just did transmission fluid exchange and complete fuel system service. Your thoughts will be appreciate.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Engine pipe? Engine clean for 2 grand? I think your mechanic is a crook...
nauy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by nauy »

IMBoring25 wrote:How hard do you typically drive the car? My experience has been that black smoke problems in cars that are usually driven gently can sometimes be improved by an "Italian tune-up."

Drive the car around until the engine and transmission are in the normal operating temperature range. Find a nice, open highway entrance ramp and accelerate briskly up it, delaying your shifts longer than usual, but still within your comfort range below redline. Repeat until there's no trail of soot behind the car as you're doing it.

If that doesn't work, you can try some fuel system cleaners or start looking for a leaking injector.
i drove very moderately, as you can see i have 63k for 6 years. black smoke came out every morning when i started up the car for the past 2 weeks. the dealer did the following 60k service: power fluid exchange, complete fuel system service, induction service, 2lv repl 1 drive belt, replace splash pan clips, mist service, replace rear pads and transmission fluid exchange.
nauy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by nauy »

AHTOXA wrote:Have you seen a check engine light? If not, have you tried scanning it regardless to see if any codes may be there?
i didn't see any codes there. black smoke came out every morning when i started up the car, i didn't see smoke while i was driving.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

The complete fuel system service should have done it. I bet one or more of your plugs may be fouled up and might need replacing, or maybe they're incorrectly gapped. Could be weak wires too.

On my Acura Legend, sometimes if I didn't hold the key in the crank position long enough when starting, the engine would act like it was running on one less cylinder and black smoke would come out of the exhaust pipe. It stopped after a few seconds. Make sure you allow enough time for the starter to do it's job. If it's been a consistent problem, that likely isn't an issue but thought I'd mention it.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750