I took the plunge, first manual

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
xtacx
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 93 accord

I took the plunge, first manual

Post by xtacx »

I just started my manual driving two weeks ago. I picked up a 93 honda accord ex. It's been alot tougher than I thought. I got the beater car to learn on to prepare for my 335i delivery in july. Hopefully I can be some what advanced by than. I had a huge problem with stalling the car on start, until I realize the no gas method which helped me learn the friction point. Right now I'm having problems with smoother shifting. I'm reading a lot ( went through tons of pages since the start).

Anyways, good to be here because there is not a central site dedicated to this stuff. I was previously just watching tons of yotube videos, and reading other forums.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: I took the plunge, first manual

Post by watkins »

Congratulations, and welcome!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome to the site! There is a lot to learn and certainly there are many members here that are knowledgeable and experienced. If you haven't already done so, skim the FAQ II for some of the more commonly asked questions. However, unlike many forums no one will dog on you for asking "newbie" questions over and over. We welcome those. :D

As helpful as theory is, nothing can solve your issues aside from time behind the wheel. Every car's a bit different so there is no solid answer for everything. What you will develop with practice is a way to feel and understand your car physically. This is what enables good drivers to drive any manual car with little adjustment time.

Again, with time your body will develop muscle memory for the shifting process and it will be much more subconscious than it is for your right now. Many of us here drive and can't physically remember how they got to 5th gear from that light back there.

Have fun and post up questions!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

tony: i'd love to get to fifth gear (i drive a 4spd)

welcome! post pics of the beater car, too :P
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Congrats on the purchase and hope both the Bimmer and the Accord will serve you well. Be careful, you might get attached to the Accord when the Bimmer comes around :lol:

Anyway, welcome to SS!
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Welcome. Be sure to read through everything or ask questions about anything you've ever had any doubts about. There are so many factually inaccurate videos and websites on the internet about manual transmissions that it's easy to get confused if you are new to them. It's good that you're reading a lot about what to do; knowing how everything physically works together can speed up the learning process tremendously.

Learning how to drive a manual ahead of time will surely be helpful, but you do need to know that driving your 335i will be quite different from driving the Accord. Depending on how proficient you are by the time you start on your BMW, you will have to readjust to a certain number of things you just got used to (friction point, clutch travel, etc.). It'll take a shorter amount of time to pick up, but don't be surprised if you're frustrated all over again after having finally become smooth with your Accord. That being said, you definitely won't be starting from the beginning. You'll be able to get around from the start and become smooth in no time.

Great choice with the 335i, by the way. You definitely have to post pics of it when it's delivered.
xtacx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by xtacx »

thanks guys :)
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Welcome to SS, I am the resident Porkchop.
Bemvindo a SS, eu sou o residente Porkchop.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

And that concludes our official welcoming committee.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Wow, that must be a new record. 9 posts in a welcomeing thread, and we're not off topic!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

And with your post, we effectively went off-topic. :mrgreen:
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Damn you, you cut of pig meat!
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Welcome to the site! A little late to the party here... I was stuck in Florida all weekend and just got back home...

I'm striving to become the resident picture-request-whore. As such, I demand pictures of the Accord!

I owned a '93 EX once upon a time and loved it to death. Hope she treats you well while as you await the arrival of your Bavarian monster!

FYI, two of the FAQs are linked below in my signature... saves a little time looking for them.
xtacx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by xtacx »

RITmusic2k wrote:Welcome to the site! A little late to the party here... I was stuck in Florida all weekend and just got back home...

I'm striving to become the resident picture-request-whore. As such, I demand pictures of the Accord!

I owned a '93 EX once upon a time and loved it to death. Hope she treats you well while as you await the arrival of your Bavarian monster!

FYI, two of the FAQs are linked below in my signature... saves a little time looking for them.
Here you go

http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=11554

:D