Hello from Europe

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Urban_Noise
Junior Standardshifter

Hello from Europe

Post by Urban_Noise »

Hello to all of you !

Don't ask me how I ended up here, topping on my mountain of bad habits is clicking from link to link while searching for information, but I did a bit of homework before registering and I did notice you guys seem to be quite relaxed and friendly around here so I said to myself " Why not ? " . I haven't registered on an auto forum in years because of various reasons I won't list here but I think most people have a clue what I mean. One of them is also the fact I'm female. Oh dear god, yes, I am a woman ! Dare to throw beer cans and popcorn at me and I'll throw right back :P . I was recultrant to spell the hellish word (I mispelled 'woman' three times before finally putting it down properly) but something's gotta give.

Seriously speaking now, I'm from Europe, exact location can't really be disclosed due to the fact my worst habit is packing up my bag and leaving and last year I exchanged 3 countries already, so anywhere is.
I never drove anything but manual and most people I met who were very good drivers and/or mechanics always advised me to never touch anything else and I listened because I'm a good learner and I worshipped those mechanics like they were gods of Car Heaven.

I am self made so to speak,I took on a mechanic and one racer from back in my home country when I was 17 and they tutored me to the best of their abilities and that included learning the best type of beers and how to exchange breaks and tires while being able to keep your eyes focused when you have a cigarette between your teeth and you're smoking like a locomotive.
Unfortunate circumstances drove me away from them and for 4 years I haven't touched a car in any way.Until I broke down and had enough and woke up at 3 in the morning and drove away with someone else's car ( it was borrowed, no matter what anyone says!) and all day I had this stupid grin on my face I couldn't get rid of.

Though after 4 years, I forgot most things, so I come here as such a noob it's not even funny, but I'm a fast learner and a good listener. I don't consider myself the greatest driver in the world, but I have all the time in the world, though I know I have capacities for good mechanics and to be honest, I'm stepping in a total different 'zone' when I'm fixing a car.
I'm devoted to 90's cars and it's rare I'll give any attention to anything else, the earliest car I fixed was something from 2002 if I'm not mistaking, and that was only because chief mechanic wanted me to see if I could handle to change the breaks by myself.
I'm a strong believer in old school things I'm afraid, I grew up around men who raced with Dacia cars ( bet you never heard of those !) and did their own mechanics in front of the block, over a beer and a joke, in the weekends, back when everything was light hearted and fun and cars, or racing, didn't have this shallow 'glamour' thing to them. I could go on with it for hours but I don't want to raise any flames and I'll just stick with the "I'm a bit old school" statement and leave it at that :D

I don't know how much I'll be posting around, except for asking tons of questions but I always found introductions absolutely necessary so there you all have it. I didn't intend to occupy this much space, and I spologize.
I apologize also for sometimes screwing up the english language, as I am not a native, so bear with me, when possible. When not, a tap on the shoulder is fine and welcomed.

As for being randomly random, I love black coffee and cigarettes so much people make me presents out of them, one of my top 10 favourite movies is " Fight Club ", I would love to learn how to do custom paint jobs because I have the graphic skills and imagination,urban art supporter, pro smoker and I live with a constant migraine.
Done now.

Thanks for taking your time to read.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Re: Hello from Europe

Post by RITmusic2k »

Cheers and welcome to SS!

That was a great intro; I like your writing style... and don't worry about your use of the English language - you're doing it better than do most of the people this side of the pond :)

So, do you own a car right now? If so, pictures are manditory fare.

There is a library's worth of great discussion and information in the 'driving tips' section, which will probably be sufficient to answer most of the questions you have. But on the other hand, you might as well post them up anyway - people here love it when women are active on the forums :lol:
Urban_Noise
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Urban_Noise »

RITmusic2k wrote:Cheers and welcome to SS!

That was a great intro; I like your writing style... and don't worry about your use of the English language - you're doing it better than do most of the people this side of the pond :)

So, do you own a car right now? If so, pictures are manditory fare.

There is a library's worth of great discussion and information in the 'driving tips' section, which will probably be sufficient to answer most of the questions you have. But on the other hand, you might as well post them up anyway - people here love it when women are active on the forums :lol:

Heya !

Thank you, thank you aaand.....yes, thank you on that one too ! :D

I don't literally own a car for the moment but I am doing my self-stitching-up work ( a.k.a " Where did this wire should of been......? " :shock: ) on someone else's car right now, someone who is literally oblivious on it but hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise once I am finished ! :? :D Does that count ? :lol: If it does, it's an old Renault Clio I and if anyone fancies the little thing, yes I'll up some photos after I spit shine it a tad bit !

Yep, I'll have a look on the library, thanks for the suggestion, I am still to get used with the arrangement of everything on the forum,though expect a lot of random, sometimes silly questions too!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

wonderful....another female. i am one myself, as is thedumbblonde, blondie, and PprStSpCo...we are the main ones. there are leg humpers here...so just don't post a pic of yourself, or if you do, be prepared. :D permabanned and comingbackdown are the main mechanics, they can probably fix anything between the two of them. they are quite smart.

there are a lot of friendly people on here (ok, we all are). pics of the car you are working on are mandatory. even if its not yours.

what country in yurope (say it...it works!)...europe are you from?

welcome!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

DACIA! Esti Romanca, nu? :lol:

Welcome to SS!
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Hey hey, great intro! Felt like I was reading the start of a book about life - sometimes fast, sometimes relaxed, jumping from one place to another, learning the trades and lifestyles of those around you, with a nice sway towards automotive and mechanics... Sounds like a cool book, actually! :lol:

Anyway welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your your stay.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Most thorough intro ever.

Welcome to the nuthouse!

We all know Dacia. At least the Sandero. Avid Top Gear fans, all of us.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Shit you don't know Dacia 'til you've ridden in a 1310, steering with the weight of a tractor, shifter that's 2 feet long, and interior that smells like gasoline. I loved that car :D
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Werty
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 09 Mazda3

Post by Werty »

Welcome from another European :)
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Welcome! I can tell you're not a native English speaker only because of the unusual way you choose to describe some things, but like RIT said, you type better English than a lot of people who are native speakers. :P What country are you originally from?

Any pics of your current or previous cars are welcome along with any cool pics of Europe you might have (since you say you've moved around a lot).
Urban_Noise
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Urban_Noise »

wannabe wrote:wonderful....another female. i am one myself, as is thedumbblonde, blondie, and PprStSpCo...we are the main ones. there are leg humpers here...so just don't post a pic of yourself, or if you do, be prepared. :D permabanned and comingbackdown are the main mechanics, they can probably fix anything between the two of them. they are quite smart.

there are a lot of friendly people on here (ok, we all are). pics of the car you are working on are mandatory. even if its not yours.

what country in yurope (say it...it works!)...europe are you from?

welcome!

Oh so there are some ladies here too. Good thing to know!
I love the car more than myself to if anyone wants to hump on any photo of someone, they can hump on pics of metal and rubber :D
I lol-ed forever at 'Yurope' and since you asked, I'm originally natural born and bred Romanian but I jump from country to country as I see fit ( a.k.a " Oh, I haven't seen the Natural History Museum!" *buys plane ticket and moves to London* ) for the moment I am stuck in Italy but I plan to jump somewhere else as soon as I can.

Thanks for the welcome !
Urban_Noise
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Urban_Noise »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:DACIA! Esti Romanca, nu? :lol:

Welcome to SS!

Hahahaha !! DACIA !!! Wooooo ! :lol:

Da, romanca, uite pe aici nu ma asteptam sa va gasesc, chiar ca suntem peste tot !

Mersi !
Urban_Noise
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Urban_Noise »

padauk_dust wrote:Hey hey, great intro! Felt like I was reading the start of a book about life - sometimes fast, sometimes relaxed, jumping from one place to another, learning the trades and lifestyles of those around you, with a nice sway towards automotive and mechanics... Sounds like a cool book, actually! :lol:

Anyway welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your your stay.

Oh just wait you, one day my books are gonna become so famous they're gonna fight over who makes the next movie based on them !
Haha, seriously now, thanks ! :wink:
Urban_Noise
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Urban_Noise »

watkins wrote:Most thorough intro ever.

Welcome to the nuthouse!

We all know Dacia. At least the Sandero. Avid Top Gear fans, all of us.

Hey , I'm a woman , we like to make things clear from the start (*cough*...right...*cough*)
Surprised anyone in the world knows about Dacia, I thought it was a phenomenon spread in my country only. :)

Thanks!