Hello! New Manual Driver

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Piler
Junior Standardshifter

Hello! New Manual Driver

Post by Piler »

Just wanted to give a quick hello. I recently purchased my first manual trans car (09 Challenger SRT8), and have been lurking around here since I got it :twisted: . It just took me a week or so to actually sign up :shock:

See you around!
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Re: Hello! New Manual Driver

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :)

got pics?
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Piler
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Piler »

No pics yet - It's actually been raining pretty much every day since I've had it - so I haven't had it out much yet (it's all covered up). I should be able to get some this weekend though.
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

I wondered when we would get a new member w/ a challenger....How does it drive? anywho.....welcome to ss.com
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Welcome! Obligatory pics request! :D
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Welcome, Pics or it didnt happen. :lol:
pbsd
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pbsd »

Hi all I am new to this site, and I just wanted to say hello
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

^ Welcom to SS pbsd!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Welcome, Piler! We accept all forms of photograph, rainy or otherwise.

pbsd, you should start your own intro thread too, so we can pester you for pictures of your car as well!
pbsd
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pbsd »

Hi all! I am looking for some clarification on up-shifting. I can drive a manual, however I am confused about the correct clutch control regarding upshifting. I know it is the easiest thing to do as far as driving a manual transmition, however I have been told conflicting things, and have read conflicting things. Ok, so here goes...
After you upshift from 1st to 2nd I have been told not to give any gas until the clutch is all the way up because it will put to much wear on the clutch. When I drive like this in order to get a smooth shift I need to let the clutch out slow. The problem are with the drivers behind me. I feel like I am going to get the finger or rear ended.

Also, if I do give it a little gas as the clutch is coming up there seems to be less tension on the gas pedal or even less power in general.

My goal is to upshift as smoothly as possible and not wear out my clutch. I sincerely thank anyone that could help clarify this for me and I look forward to chatting with everyone in the future!
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

In any shift, you do need some throttle in order to keep the engine spinning and not dragging the car back after the clutch gets let out in the next gear.

What you want to do in a 1st to 2nd, is either just use 1st to get moving and short shift to 2nd, or do a clean 1-2 shift.

To make a clean shift you want to accelerate in the current gear, then drop the throttle and push the clutch to the floor simultaneously. Then pull to 2nd and as the clutch is almost out add some throttle. Not enough to accelerate, but enough that you know you are pushing the gas pedal down a tad.

The revs need to come down quite a bit in a 1 to 2, so the quicker you let the clutch out, the quicker you can pull the revs down, and the quicker you can start to accelerate in 2nd.

You need to find the balancing point of getting the clutch out before the revs fall below what you want for the next gear, and letting it out too quick. Complete the shift quick enough that you need to drag the rpm down with the clutch, or get it right on. The closer you are to the right rpm for the next gear, the quicker you can let the clutch out.

You need to make sure to get on the gas the moment the clutch is all the way out, or the car will slow.
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks back. raptor speaks the truth, simultaneously push the clutch in and get off the gas when changing gears. give it a bit of gas when letting the clutch come up. (also done simultaneously) I've found that going soft and smooth is the way to go letting it up and pushing down on the gas.

Your 1 to 2 shift will be jerky at first. After a week or 2 of driving you'll get alot smoother. Wait a little longer between changing from 1 to 2 than you normally would for 2->3 or 3->4. All I have to say is time and practice will help. I didnt believe it at first but its true! :D

Oh and for other drivers, if your scared just drive in the slowest lane. Their problem if they're trying to pass up on the right.
97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
pbsd
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pbsd »

Thank you for your response guys!! If it's ok I also have a question on rpms in first gear. I am told conflicting things on this as well. So here goes:
Some people say to get right out of first gear quickly or you will hurt your engine. Others told me to wait and shift later like 4000rpm for a smoother shift. I understand about shifting early to save gas and such...but im concerned about smooth shifts and not hurting the engine. Again, thanks for all help I know these are very novice questions.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Shift from 1st to 2nd whenever you're comfortable with it. Your 2009 Challenger SRT8 will never lug* (modern cars either run or stall; at worst it will grumble a little but it won't damage anything), and has ample power for starting in almost any gear. There will be no damage whether you short-shift it or wind it out, though there is a tiny additional amount of wear if you run it up to higher RPM (each revolution is a little wear, and it takes fewer revolutions to get to your destination if you shift lower and use higher gears).

I prefer shifting out of 1st as soon as the car is rolling -- 1000rpm or so -- to smooth my shift (and to save gas). It's much easier to get it smooth when the RPM difference between 1st and 2nd is small and the engine isn't making much power (though I bet your engine makes a boatload of torque at idle).

*: Lugging -- see these posts:
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 271#p91271
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 10#p172612
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

+1 holycow.

Your car will only "bog" not lug. Bogging the engine isn't necesarily bad. You bog it when your shift puts the car below idle. If you shift from 1st at 1000rpm this will happen.

What you want to do in an ideal situation is half clutch 1st, and when the car is rolling, pull to second and release the clutch the rest of the way. Depends how fast you want your acceleration.

As long as you're not on a hill you could start in 2nd for awhile if you are afraid for 1st. Most modern cars start so easy in 2nd, you would think it was 1st.