Howdy

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
misnomer
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 04 Cavalier

Howdy

Post by misnomer »

Hey all. Just got my new-to-me car, an 04 Cavalier. I'm really excited to learn how to drive it and I need to pick up the pace. My drive to school is filled with hills (and the campus is just...mountainous it seems, lol. I tried to drive my bf's truck, made it around the parking lot but not of it as it was situated on a hill and wimped out) but I live in the flatlands. :?

I really have my share of anxiety...I feel like I'm going to straight break my Leo (that's his name). But I've been looking around and I think I came to the right place for help. :)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Howdy

Post by potownrob »

You'll be fine. I recommend getting used to driving your car on mostly flats or not too crazy backroads and then go for the hills. If you have to drive on the hills though, that's a good (albeit potentially harsh) way to learn quick. Once you get really good you'll be able to take on terrain like the stuff Tony, Watkins and I took on (I didn't do so well IMO) in West Virginia this past week :mrgreen: .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :) read the FAQ 2.0 sticky, and practice hand brake launches for hills. you'll get the hang of it and soon you'll be loving the world of shifting your own gears. :)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

Hills aren't as bad as you think, a little practice and you'll be fine on them. The proper technique for a hill start is one of the most-often argued about things on here, so there's plenty of info if you need it.

edit: btw, welcome to the site, lol!
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Tony, Watkins and I were talking about this the other day...

Post by potownrob »

hill starts ultimately are little to no different from regular flatland starts. the problem is some people don't know how to start up even without hills. having a uselessly busted handbrake (not sure how i passed inspection; my mechanic could've easily made money off of me by making me get it fixed to pass) i have no problem starting on hills without the handbrake, not that i really ever used it anyway. i think it's a valid technique to use the handbrake to start (at least on hills), but i don't think it's necessary and you should know how to start without it for when your handbrake goes bad on you :lol: .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
misnomer
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 04 Cavalier

Post by misnomer »

Thanks everybody. I know it shouldn't be too bad learning to drive, cause when I say I'm living in South Carolina, I mean rural, middle of nowhere Carolina, lol. And my street, tho narrow (narrow is even in the name) is long and straight and the speed limit goes up to 55. meaning I'll be doing 60.

I'll be sure to check out the faq's.
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 VW GTI 1.8T

Post by pobrien »

misnomer wrote:Thanks everybody. I know it shouldn't be too bad learning to drive, cause when I say I'm living in South Carolina, I mean rural, middle of nowhere Carolina, lol. And my street, tho narrow (narrow is even in the name) is long and straight and the speed limit goes up to 55. meaning I'll be doing 60.

I'll be sure to check out the faq's.
55 legal limit not on a highway :shock: wtf, i want that.
-OB
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

pobrien wrote:55 legal limit not on a highway :shock: wtf, i want that.
Look at Rob's videos of the meet. The 10% downhill grade with switchbacks had a 55mph limit. Every road down there did.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

watkins wrote:
Look at Rob's videos of the meet. The 10% downhill grade with switchbacks had a 55mph limit. Every road down there did.
it was crazy. but the curves/squiggles had lower posted limits...good thing, too. tony and i both squealed tires, tony chirped in 3rd. :P
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I got several nice long whines from all four tires at once, but I stayed well below squeal speed. My car is too top-heavy for that, even with the top down. I need my Koni kit. :twisted:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:
crap, i need to get my vids up. until my computer lets me upload the memory card (keeps cutting off halfway through the upload and then cxls the whole thing grr) i have a lot more pics and vids to go up. maybe i'll upload them from work - the vids are already on the computer there.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote:
watkins wrote:
it was crazy. but the curves/squiggles had lower posted limits...good thing, too. tony and i both squealed tires, tony chirped in 3rd. :P
wait, who drove whose car and where?
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

potownrob wrote:
wannabe wrote:
watkins wrote: Look at Rob's videos of the meet. The 10% downhill grade with switchbacks had a 55mph limit. Every road down there did.
wait, who drove whose car and where?
tony drove his car and squealed, i drove my car at a later date (on the way home) and squealed them.

and the pig at the petting zoo squealed too :P
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I did not squeal when I drove my car. My tires squealed when I drove it, darn it. Do I look like Priscilla?

:D

/thread hijack

Welcome to the boards, OP!!!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:/thread hijack
Impossible!