New From Nor Cal

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Charles421
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe, 6MT

Re: New From Nor Cal

Post by Charles421 »

Welcome!! Yes all standard shifters here ... great community overall. I lurked for a while before joining as well.

I agree with the comment that members of most 'enthusiast' car sites/forums are not standard drivers. I'm on a BMW owner's forum (E90Post -CJ421); out of all the people that post on those boards, I estimate 15% or less are standard drivers. Rest are autos and a small percent DCT (personal thought: I never understood the point of modding a car with exhaust, tune, etc. when the car has an auto).
2011 BMW E92 335i: Le Mans Blue, M Sport, 6MT w/ CDV Mod, BMW Performance Exhaust + Style 269 19" Wheels
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Re: New From Nor Cal

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Wow, old thread is old.

Why would anyone refuse to talk about their modifications? Is it that big of a deal?

I think most car sites I go to contain members who sing the praises of the manual transmission. Sure, not all of them have them, but not all of us even have them. Any site where people like to play the Enthusiast Card is going to be focused on manuals (unless it's a model-specific forum where manuals aren't offered or are rarely offered.)

Here are the sites I check out, all of them are pro-manual:
VWVortex (the Car Lounge portion; Cosmin I see you talking up RPF1s over there lol)
Hooniverse
Jalopnik
Thetruthaboutcars (maybe not so strong here, but with a few writers at least; Mehta and Baruth.)

"Enthusiasts" love manuals, wagons, and lightweight cars. But as someone already pointed out, enthusiasts talk alot but don't have much buying power. And they buy used more often than new.

And a good number of Mustang forum guys like autos because they are easier to beef up and run consistently in drag racing, not because they are secretaries or some other tired story.