Driving Ambitions!

Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

jomotopia wrote:so someone who lives in Germany has to go through a whole lot to be allowed to drive on the autobahns but they let tourists get rental cars and go on it with no problem?? that seems odd to me
How else are they gonna rack in the $$?
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i wonder what percentage of accidents are caused by tourists
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
julian
Senior Standardshifter

Post by julian »

jomotopia wrote:so someone who lives in Germany has to go through a whole lot to be allowed to drive on the autobahns but they let tourists get rental cars and go on it with no problem?? that seems odd to me
In Germany, in order to get a license, you have to attend driving school (Fahrschule), you have a special vehicle that has extra pedals for the passenger seat (where your instructor sits, so he can intervene in the event of an emergency).
They then teach you how to drive in about 25 hours, of which 12 are so called "Sonderfahrten" (special lessons or something), they consist of 3 hours night-time driving, 4 hours Autobahn and 6 hours driving outside the city limits. You HAVE TO do this, a license in Germany will cost you about €1300-1500, you also have to attend class, 28 hours, to learn all the traffic rules...then you are eligible for 2 tests, the written exam and the behind-the-wheel checkride, if you pass them, you get your license. If not, and this happens a lot, you have to do them again, makes it even more expensive...

So if you already have a license, you're free to do whatever you want (most western countries' licenses will do)
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

julian wrote:
In Germany, in order to get a license, you have to attend driving school (Fahrschule), you have a special vehicle that has extra pedals for the passenger seat (where your instructor sits, so he can intervene in the event of an emergency).
They then teach you how to drive in about 25 hours, of which 12 are so called "Sonderfahrten" (special lessons or something), they consist of 3 hours night-time driving, 4 hours Autobahn and 6 hours driving outside the city limits. You HAVE TO do this, a license in Germany will cost you about €1300-1500, you also have to attend class, 28 hours, to learn all the traffic rules...then you are eligible for 2 tests, the written exam and the behind-the-wheel checkride, if you pass them, you get your license. If not, and this happens a lot, you have to do them again, makes it even more expensive...

So if you already have a license, you're free to do whatever you want (most western countries' licenses will do)

Ya, thats probably why our drivers are so bad. we have NOTHING like that... except our cars do have passenger pedals :wink:
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Re: Driving Ambitions!

Post by mad_finn »

Build a car and drive it legally...

I like those mini trucks and I love V8 engines so something like... lets say Toyota hilux, with blown chevy big block engine on it,

something like this...

But ofc, It has to produce at least 700HP
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Re: Driving Ambitions!

Post by mtheis »

mad_finn wrote:lets say Toyota hilux, with blown chevy big block engine on it
Blasphemy!

And... Holy necropost, Batman!
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT