The Toronto (and area) thread

tobigooddog

Post by tobigooddog »

Ironichumour wrote:
tobigooddog wrote:Sypher, is it legal to make right turns on a red light in Ottawa? I had to drive through Ottawa to get to the electronic music festival site in the woods north of the city, and I got stuck for an hour in one way street hell, made a bunch of illegal u turns trying to get back to the point at which i got lost, and got in trouble for turning right on red light.
It should be legal...the only place that I know where it's not is here in Montreal (I just moved here from near Ottawa, remember) :lol: I don't understand why you'd get in trouble for that...maybe that area or that light was an exception? :? One way streets really can be horrible if you're not sure of where you're going, though (although I suppose it could be argued that they make things a lot simpler :P)!
Oh, you are right, I might have missed a 'no turn on red light' sign at that particular intersection. I immediately thought that maybe in all of Quebec you're not allowed to turn on red, thinking 'man, those ppl are trying so hard to be European'...bad me.
Ironichumour
Master Standardshifter

Post by Ironichumour »

It's not too hard to miss signs like that, especially after trying to navigate one-way streets and getting lost! When I was first driving in Montreal, I had to keep reminding myself not to turn right on the red....and then I get back to Ontario and I'm always second-guessing myself as to whether I can turn or not LOL :roll: :lol:

Wasn't all of Quebec like that until just recently? Now it's only Montreal, I think...
It's not what's on the outside, it's what's under the hood
missesm
Senior Standardshifter

Post by missesm »

Sypher wrote:hmmm how come I didnt see this thread before?

I live about 450kms from Toronto 8) LOL
We'll build out there soon... Toronto is taking over, that's why i'm getting the hell out!
2000 Mercury Cougar V6
missesm
Senior Standardshifter

Post by missesm »

Ironichumour wrote:It's not too hard to miss signs like that, especially after trying to navigate one-way streets and getting lost! When I was first driving in Montreal, I had to keep reminding myself not to turn right on the red....and then I get back to Ontario and I'm always second-guessing myself as to whether I can turn or not LOL :roll: :lol:

Wasn't all of Quebec like that until just recently? Now it's only Montreal, I think...
um hun, FYI, they abolished that rule a millions years ago... turn right all you want bella!
2000 Mercury Cougar V6
Ironichumour
Master Standardshifter

Post by Ironichumour »

I swear it was only like 3 years ago though! LOL
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

I felt very uneasy turning at a red light with out a filter! There are moves to make left turn on red legal here, but I don't know if I like the idea...
Ironichumour
Master Standardshifter

Post by Ironichumour »

SteveUK wrote:I felt very uneasy turning at a red light with out a filter! There are moves to make left turn on red legal here, but I don't know if I like the idea...
Considering I only just recently found out that there are places where left turns on a red are legal and I'm still busy trying to wrap my head around that concept, I don't blame you for possibly not liking the idea! Right turns on a red are one thing, but to me left turns just seem to be pushing it a bit....
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

Remember we drive on the other side of the road!!!!!! So it is like your right turn on red rule.
Ironichumour
Master Standardshifter

Post by Ironichumour »

SteveUK wrote:Remember we drive on the other side of the road!!!!!! So it is like your right turn on red rule.
:lol: I'm living proof of what 3 hours of sleep a night for a couple of weeks does to your brain.
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

SteveUK wrote:I felt very uneasy turning at a red light with out a filter! There are moves to make left turn on red legal here, but I don't know if I like the idea...
lol
i almost got hit in england b/c i looked the "wrong" way before crossing the road. i had my backpack on, and a classmate grabbed it and dragged me backwards. actually, i think he did that 2x...lol
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

That's why you look BOTH ways before crossing any street ;)
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

Sypher wrote:That's why you look BOTH ways before crossing any street ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very true, mate.
pixfw13579
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pixfw13579 »

Markham as well (16th and McCowan)
CSMRA wrote:Another GTAer here...Markham!
mayapatel1986
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mayapatel1986 »

I live in brampton, near kennedy and steeles
missesm
Senior Standardshifter

Post by missesm »

I found a new road I love driving on... for the northern GTA folks... when you go up hwy 27, north of rutherford and major mack it's called nashville road, it turns into some country road... it's a narrow road, alot of huge houses, some windy turns... narrow lanes.... reminds me of home....
2000 Mercury Cougar V6