Engineering the World Rally

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Engineering the World Rally

Post by Ecmslee »

Is anyone else following this documentary series on Discovery UK? I'm really enjoying it so far. It follows team Subaru through the 2006 season of WRC.

I think this series is especially awesome for anyone unfamiliar with rally since it really gives you a sense of the human side of the sport. What I mean by this is that usually what you see of rally is the driver and his car hurtling through the stages. Engineering the World Rally goes beyond the track and shows you the engineering, human interactions, and politics that go along with the racing. And when you can relate to a sport on a more personal level, you can really appreciate the sport that much more.

If you're familiar with torrents you can download all the episodes up to the current one on racing-underground.com. I've been downloading the episodes here. A word of warning: when I started on the first episode I couldn't stop watching until I caught up to the current one. :D
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

I'm assuming the video I posted of the Subaru team in the '06 WRC was an episode of the show you're talking about. If so, it's very good. I don't get Discovery UK, though :cry: .
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

So that's why I couldn't figure out how I originally came across this series! I saw the video you posted which led me to downloading the rest of the episodes. But after catching up to the current episode I came back and tried running a search for "engineering" and "rally" on the forum only to come up with no results, which is why I made a new thread.

Do you know how to use torrents? If so, you can download all the episodes that have aired. Just follow the link from the OP.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i tried to start downloading them all last night but they have banned Azureus. so then i downloaded uTorrent and tried again but i need to put in a pass key. only thing is i'm not familiar with uTorrent. i'm sure i can figure it out when i have time, but if anybody can tell me specifically what menus to go to on uTorrent in order to set up my client so that racing-underground will let me download that would be great.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

jomotopia wrote:i tried to start downloading them all last night but they have banned Azureus. so then i downloaded uTorrent and tried again but i need to put in a pass key. only thing is i'm not familiar with uTorrent. i'm sure i can figure it out when i have time, but if anybody can tell me specifically what menus to go to on uTorrent in order to set up my client so that racing-underground will let me download that would be great.
Just my Opinion, but I think BitLord is the BEST Torrent Client you can have, if you wanna give it a shot http://www.bitlord.com , get the free one.

I tried Azureus, I just couldn't get it around my firewall, but bitlord takes care of that by itself.
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

From Racing-Underground admin-
EnzoF1 wrote:Sat 31 Mar, 2007
There appear to be some issues with some torrent clients that report false information to our tracker. Obviously this can get quite annoying if one of us have to keep restoring member stats. We've already banned Bitcomet and any derivatives like Bitlord, but Shareaza and Transmission (OSX client) will be added to that list. Bitcomet has been banned because the client does not adhere to the user or tracker DHT settings. Which allows non-registered members to transfer files amongst other peers. We're all about sharing, but we're more concerned about the safety of our members. Who knows who will be on the receiving end, collecting your IP's.

Shareaza will be banned because this client transfers no data, false data or other gibberish to the tracker, which disturbs our statistics and Transmission will be banned because it's a known fact (the Transmission dev's acknowledged this) that this client can report false uploaded stats to the tracker. We've already had 8 members with this problem and I personally am getting a bit tired of restoring those stats all the time. We do give you some alternatives though, in case you're using any of the clients mentioned above.

Bitcomet (and its derivatives): uTorrent, Azureus, ABC
Shareaza: See BitComet
Transmission: Bits on Wheels

Thank you for your time and understanding.

The RU Staff.
I use either Bittornado or Azureus. Bittornado for downloading single torrents, and Azureus for managing multiple torrents or torrents that don't want to work with Bittornado.

Jomo, I've been using Azureus on this site with no problems. Here are some tips to get it working with your firewall-

Assuming you are the "master of your domain," in other words not behind a university firewall or some other connection that you have no real control over, you have two choices on how to configure your firewall. You can either use UPnP or NAT-PMP if your router supports that or you need to set your router forward both TCP and UDP ports to your computer.

For port forwarding you have to set your PC to use a static IP on your LAN or have your router bind your MAC to a specific IP address. Next tell your router to forward a port between 49152–65534 to your computer. This should be both TCP and UDP by the way. The reason for using this particular range is that some ISPs are throttling or even blacklisting Bittorrent.

For UPnP, first make sure that you have it enabled on the router. Then make sure that the services for UPnP are enabled in Windows XP (I'm assuming you're using this). In the Run dialog enter "services.msc". Both "SSDP Discovery Service" and "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" should at least be set to manual. If manual doesn't work you could try setting them to automatic.

Now that you've done either method, the last thing you need to do is to tell Azureus which port you want it to use. If you went with port forwarding, use the port that you told your router to forward. With UPnP just remember to use a port between 49152–65534, your computer and router will take care of the rest, assuming that UPnP is working.

I've been using UPnP for both Bittornado and Azureus with no problems. If you have any other problems feel free to ask me questions, and I'll do my best to help you out.

Here are the relevant pages on the AzureusWiki-
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/NAT_problem
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/PortIsBlacklisted
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

One more thing- I believe this is a private tracker so you'll have to register before downloading if you haven't done that yet. This might explain why it's telling you your client is banned. (Actually, Azureus is considered one of the top recommended BT clients and generally is not abusive of the protocol. So if you ever get a message that "your client is banned" its more than likely not because of your choice in BT clients.)
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

thanks for the info Ecmslee, however i already have my router set up correctly and have been using Azureus for torrents for a long time. i read that thing on the site that you posted.

i suppose what i am missing is registering the tracker. i registered on the site itself but i could not find any info about accessing the tracker. i have never used trackers that weren't public before. i also could not find any options in uTorrent to set a password, but i didn't look in Azureus since i thought it was banned. i will take another look.

do i use the same username/password that i registered on the site with or is there a separate registration i have to do? can you point me to something on their site about registering the tracker?

i know i can figure all this out when i have the time to really look into it but it will just make my life easier and let me start watching these sooner if somebody knows off the top of their head what i need to do.
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

Yes, I was fairly thorough in my explanation of setting up bittorrent, huh? :lol: Ok, since racing-underground is a private tracker the only prerequisite for downloading torrents with their tracker is to register on the site. That's all I did and I was already downloading without problems.

Maybe the tracker hasn't gotten your IP yet since that is how it knows whether or not you're a registered user. If you got a torrent file from the site before you registered, then your IP will not be allowed to download by the tracker. Try downloading the torrent file again from the site while logged on. When you do that your IP should be recognized by the tracker and you should be allowed to download. Hope this helps.
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

From the FAQ-
Racing-Underground.com wrote:Tracker Related FAQ:

• The client returns a "DENIED. Invalid Passkey. Please reset" error
This indicates that your personal torrent pass hasn't been properly added to the .torrent. Please re-download the .torrent from the site. If that doesn't solve the problem, stop and delete all torrents in your client and go to Personal Settings in the User CP and reset the passkey. Re-download all your torrents in order to resume them.
:shock: Wow, I'd be pretty shocked if I ever got this message-
Racing-Underground.com wrote:• The client returns a "Unauthorised access DENIED. Enforcers now en-route to your location." error
This error only appears when you're not logged in to the site or if you've reset your passkey without re-downloading your active torrents. Log in or re-download the torrents to solve this problem.
Enforcers en-route to my location---wha? :D
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

that error message is freaky :shock:
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

apparently my problem was trying to open the torrent using the URL in the torrent client instead of saving the torrent file to my machine. :? downloading all 4 episodes now. :D
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

That's good to hear! Have fun watching the episodes, they're awesome.
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

Woohoo! The fifth episode's been uploaded. Gonna download it now. In this episode Subaru is competing on their home turf: Japan. Hey Jomo, have you been able to watch any of the episodes yet?
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

Ecmslee wrote:Woohoo! The fifth episode's been uploaded. Gonna download it now. In this episode Subaru is competing on their home turf: Japan. Hey Jomo, have you been able to watch any of the episodes yet?
yup, they're awesome. i don't want to spoil it for anybody but i can not believe the luck at the first 2 rallies. i was about 3/4 done watching the 3rd episode and i had to stop. i'll probably watch some more tonight. it's a very good show.

thanks for telling me the 5th episode is out. :D btw, is it divx/xvid or is it that other file format (i can't remember it right now)? i want to watch these on my xbox media center and it won't play those files, so after i downloaded the 4 episodes and saw what format they were i had to redownload all 4 episodes in avi.