San Luis Obispo County California

jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

San Luis Obispo County California

Post by jcprov21 »

I was wondering who has been to this area? How did you like it? Anywone on here live in the area?
TheGame
Junior Standardshifter

Post by TheGame »

Actually, that's a deserted Area. I advise NOT to live there, but migrate. :lol:
6 Disc | 5 Spd | 4 Drs | 3 Pedals | 2 Ltr Eng | 1 Destiny
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

I have been comeing to, and living here for over 5 years and the area has grown by 50%. I am currently living in morro bay in san luis obispo. the city of san luis obispo has a population of 100,000
Liaysha
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Liaysha »

Hi there,
I was born in SLO town and grew up in the Grover City area and lived there for 19 years. SLO county has been by far my most favourite area to live. Thursday nite Farmer's market, Blazing Blenders, McCarthy's and Mother's taverns for spirits and sounds, McLintock's for lunch, Boo Boo's for vintage vinyl,Traditional Tattoo for when you can't live without another tattoo or piercing, Decades for the best prices on Doc Marten's and unique gifts and can't forget the prerequisite walk down Gumball Alley..has to be the oddest artform ever!

Don't forget the beaches and other points of interest: Pirate's Cove, Avila's redwood hot tubs, Pierside Restaurant, SS Lollipop (tequila suckers with the worm!), Soulutions surf shop, Oceano Dunes, The Halcyon store, the hoosegow in old Arroyo, Pozo, the drive to Big and Little Falls, Pismo at Sunset, The Balcony, Thousand Steps and Friday nights at Old Vienna.

I have to get back here every winter once the tourists have gone back to the Valley and the beaches and shops aren't as crowded. As you can tell, I have very fond feelings for SLO County and would move back in a second if I thought I could afford to rent somewhere but truly, the area continues to grow at a phenomenal rate and rents climb along with it, sadly.

For the casual adventurer or new to the area person, check out the aforementioned and let me know how you get on!

:D
Camouflage Metallic 2005 Scion xB 5 spd
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

I wuv the area so much, i am quite fond of Morro Bay, but love San Luis very much.

Funny, i have never been to grover beach sence i have been living here, but have been to shell beach before. (strange huh)

One of my favorite places here is the Spirit Of San Luis at the airport, as much as i hate driving on broad street i will still go in order to eat there.

I just love the central coast.
:D
Liaysha
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Liaysha »

I am jealous that you can afford to live on the CC! I never spent much time in MB excepting the trips to my uncle's barbershop (Mike's) on Sunday's with my Dad. I've taken my kids to the Rock and beach there also. We tried to do the Harbour Festival last trip down but we arrived too late and decided to scrap it. Ooh, and I got my first tattoo there at Chyrs' place.

Grover Beach, well, you're not missing much. Struggling businesses and residential sprawl. I was shocked and appalled to see the 2 story monstrosity that had overtaken my block and how the house I grew up in had been transformed by its new owners. Wot can I say, nothing ever stays the same.

I have never been to the Spirit of San Luis. I am a McLinktock's junkie, LOL! Recommend me an item or 2 for lunch and I'll make a point to try it when I'm down next! :D
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

I used to live in sacramento but my parents got their money togeather my dad got a good job offer so we went.

I am a seafood freak, which is good because i live on the coast! At the spirit of san luis i like the halibut sandwich, my mom likes the B.52

Yes i hear according to the tribune, that grover beach has been having a crime problem.
If i had a choice, i would live here in MB it has a small town feel, and a comfy atmospere.

Now as for barber shops, i have heard of it, (i think the one you speak of is on main steet) but my mom is a licenced cosmetoligist so i ahve always been blessed with her ablitiys.
Liaysha
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Liaysha »

I am a seafood freak as well, which is why I like to hit Pierside at least once a day when i'm down there altho Splash café is pretty good, too. I am going to have to stop at the Spirit my next trip down now!

The crime waves in GB are just that, waves. It was mostly vandalism you heard about when I was younger. Once in secondary, the drug problem really exploded and crime rose again. I never really paid attention to it all, it was so removed from my little area. Reading the papers when i'm down there now is an eye opener, the influx of L.A. persons has really gotten out of hand!
But I guess that's progress for you!

Mike's is on Main..you're lucky your mom's in the biz. My uncle was forever offering to give me a buzz cut..you know how traumatic that is to an 8 year old girl!? LOL :shock: :roll:
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

Hey, i dont like crime as much as the next guy, however it happens alot, but the big news in MB is when a bike gets stolen,

Anyway, if you want to keep in touch with the area, get an out of county subscripton to the tribune, at this site

http://www.sanluisobispo.com

Also a nice site for local news.

Another spot i like is in cambera called Linns, With the ollieberry jam and such.
I love raw oysters also, i know you are running to the can right now but i love them, I like great american fish company.

I just love all of my technology! (long story)
Liaysha
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Liaysha »

I've not been too far north to eat. Time in Cambria was spent on the water or shopping, LOL!
I guess i need to be a bit more open to things other than shopping.

Oysters.. :shock: I got a nasty surprise of one on a seafood platter once, a truly disgusting experience! But to each his own..Will keep Linn's in mind when I'm up the north next time.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

truely a aquried taste over time, my dad hurls every time he even thinks about them, i know many people who do not like them....
Liaysha
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Liaysha »

there's also the whole looking gross and tasting gross bit! people (who have never tried it, i might add) gross out when i eat tentacled calamari. calamari is pleasant tasting and easy to eat (when cooked right) but people just can't past the look of little deep fried creatures on a plate.. :P
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

Calimari is good also, but like you said it has to be cooked right, otherwise it is rubbery and nasty.

You remember a restranunt in Morro Bay called the hungry fisherman? Well in Feburary (i think) they closed it. :cry:

One of the best local spots here...

I did accually go inot grover beach the other day when i was in arroyo grande, looking for some shop, looks similar to Pismo, not much to see or do for a local anyway, BIG tourist spot though, i just like to stay away from the toursits as much as possible!
Liaysha
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Liaysha »

never heard of the hungry fisherman..it's always a sad day when a good restaurant closes. as far as GB..truly, school was the only thing that saved me from total boredom. there really is not a lot to do there..shopping of course, but that gets old after a while. going to the beach but that gets old after a while..you get my point. and yes, during the summers the area is overrun with the san joaquin valley persons :shock:

i'm with you on the tourist bit..but how else will the local retailers make it thru the winter without the summer income?
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

Always is sad to see a good business go, but we will move on, I want impressed with grover beach, kinda like to bronx of SLO county (weither you include atacadero or not) It is a tourist spot, and a beach spot, when i used to come down on vacations i LOVED to beach, could't get enough time in, but now, i rarely look at or go to any of the beaches.

And, yes this area needs the toursists. I just choose to stay away from them as much as possible!