Chicagoland area members?

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I know there are two of us here in Chicago and one by the northern boarder.

Personally, I would not mind getting together in Milwaukee. Gives me a chance for a little trip, plus I get to see Milwaukee, which I don't very often these days.

Good idea.

Anyone else from WI area?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
.insane
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Contour Slush

Post by .insane »

I wouldn't mind a gurnee meet like at Road America :twisted: or Six Flags this summer
Retired:
'98 Ford Contour (AT) - 130,xxx miles (passed to my brother)
'93 Toyota Tercel (4sp MT) - 190,xxx miles (donated)
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

From Gurnee to Milwaukee is not thatfar. I'm thinking if some people come down from as far as central WI, I can def. make it down to milwaukee.

It's only what, 90 miles or so from my house? It's not too bad..
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
.insane
Master Standardshifter

Post by .insane »

I can make it to Milwaukee but if we got a few people from all over the midwest to get together in gurnee like a ss midwest meet in the summer it would be sic.
Retired:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Agreed. A midwest meet would be awesome. Let's see if we can make this happen. We need to get a plan of action together. Need to decide on a place to do it at, and what to do.

Some ideas:

-attend a show of some sorth
-bbq, cook out
-camping, bbq

I'm leaning towards a camping idea of some sort, that way people who come from farther away can stay for a few days, instead of having to leave the same night.

This might make it more apealing to those who live farther.

What do you think?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
.insane
Master Standardshifter

Post by .insane »

Possible Locations:

Great America
Indiana Dunes
Wisconson Dells

Get like a block of rooms at a motel 6 or something and a bbq sounds kick ass
Retired:
Coupe31705
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Coupe31705 »

I'm in SE wisconsin, Milwaukee sounds cool, we could go to a baseball game this summer(the brewers never sell out unless its against the cubs). And tailgate beforehand or something.
Wanna give me insurance $$$?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

.insane wrote:Possible Locations:

Great America
Indiana Dunes
Wisconson Dells

Get like a block of rooms at a motel 6 or something and a bbq sounds kick ass
Or we could do camping near WI dells.

How about Camping near the Dells in April? I need to find out if the Devil's Lake campground is open this time of year. I know the one nearby is closed until mid May.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
jefkoh
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Chicagoland area members?

Post by jefkoh »

Formerly from Chicago. Now in Elgin. 2007 Mazda Speed 6- 6 speed manual-270 hp. new member.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome. Stay tuned for gatherings.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
PAULH
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: none currently

Post by PAULH »

new chicagoland member here! carless though :(
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

PAULH wrote:new chicagoland member here! carless though :(
Welcome! Are you in the market to buy a car now or what's up?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
PAULH
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: none currently

Post by PAULH »

yeah looking to buy my first car. Drove my cousins old accord 5 spd and holy crap!!! I love stick. He was teaching me and I got the hang of it fairly quickly. do you know of any dealerships that I should look at ? pretty much any car willl do something that will be fun but not too expensive
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

PAULH wrote:yeah looking to buy my first car. Drove my cousins old accord 5 spd and holy crap!!! I love stick. He was teaching me and I got the hang of it fairly quickly. do you know of any dealerships that I should look at ? pretty much any car willl do something that will be fun but not too expensive
First narrow it down to exactly what kind of car you are looking for. Do NOT go into a dealership without having a car picked out. The dealer will absolutely rape you if you have not done the homework on the car. The dealer you go to really does not matter at this time. I will explain.

1. Pick the car you want. Narrow it down to make, model, year range. A lot will depend on how much you want to spend.

2. Research online. Look at pricing on the car at cars.com and similar cars. See what that car goes for at various dealerships.

3. Once you are set, print the pricing you see online and go check out that car at the dealer. If it's a good deal, talk to them. See i you like it. I would abvise against buying right away, but if you see that it's really a great deal - you may.

Keep the internet price printout for that exact car with you. Don't show the salesman. Chances are he will try to screw with you and name a higher price for the car. Negotiate, negotiate and then negotiate some more. If you feel that he or she is being pushy, trying to BS you or anything else that sounds or feels fishy - leave immediately. They are likely to go after you and offer a better deal. If the fishiness is severe - walk regardless.

Remember, you contol where you spend money and how. Don't let them push you or presure you into anything. Also remember that no matter how good you are at negotiating, they are always better. You negotiate like that at MOST once a year and they do this every day.

Also, consider buying a car from it's manufacturer's dealer. Like buying a NIssan from a Nissan dealer, Honda from a Honda dealer and so on. What it often does, is give you a better warranty option on used vehicle, if that's what you need. Honda will gove you warrantly on a Honda (5 years, 100,000) but on any other vehicle it's a service plan. The difference is that a service plan typically has less coverage and more out of pocked deductibles and so forth. Extended warranties often do not have deductibles.

Bottom line, spend some time doing research. Google something like "buying a new car" or "buying a used car". There are many good articles with many great suggestions on how to research and negotiate the purchase of a vehicle.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

tony posted some good stuff, but for a 1st car, i wouldnt suggest anything dealership. get something for like 1000-1500 dollars. if your good with cars, theres steals all over the place. look on craigslist.com

ill give u an example. now this one is kinda out of left field, but whatever. my stepdad bought a 99 bmw 540i. paid 9500 dollars for it. he was at the dealer for some parts, and then he talked to one of the dudes in there and they told him that they would sell it for 17000 at that dealer.

best deals are with private sellers, for the most part, they would try to ask astronomical sh1t for their cars, theyll ask a realistic figure, and theyll be much easier to deal with without the pressure of the car salesman at a dealership. all you gotta do is be good with cars so you know what your buying.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT