Shops in the area - good and bad

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Shops in the area - good and bad

Post by AHTOXA »

The point behind this thread is to have an organized list by the general area of shops that are good and shops that are bad. Perhaps at some point this may help someone find the right shop to fix their vehicle or to avoid a particular place one.

Pro Function - Burr Ridge, IL. Google "pro function performace" and you shall find details. RECOMMENDED

Guys are knowledgeable and know their stuff well. Shop specializes in race-prepped Japanese imports. They do not do much business off the street - in fact the shop is not even marked with their name - but if you have been recommended to them by a person who has had their vehicle serviced there, they will promptly accommodate any of your needs.

Auto Dome - Waukeegan, IL. RECOMMENDED

The shop performs all kinds of work but primarily they are a body shop. The owner is an acquaintance of mine. Let me know and I can probably help you.

Main Auto - Skokie. On the corner of Main and Skokie Boulevard. NOT RECOMMENDED

The management/owner is still the same. Personal experience with the shop swapping out your parts for faulty used ones, then when they need replacement he will charge to replace it with your original part that he stole. Nothing can be definitively proven in court but I will not recommend servicing your vehicle there. Highly suspicious business practices by the owners.

Please feel free to add your own!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: Shops in the area - good and bad

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Glenlake International Auto Care - near Clark and Touhy on Clark - RECOMMENDED

Went to have some damage appraised there and the owner of the shop was very knowledgeable and friendly. Also had his personal Alfa Spider Duetto in the shop and an old Rolls Royce. The appraisal was a fair price too. I ended up not going there but I would recommend this shop if given the opportunity
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Re: Shops in the area - good and bad

Post by mtheis »

ABA High Tech - located on N Lamar in Austin, TX - RECOMMENDED

I had my CV axles replaced at this shop a year ago. Quality of work and prices are excellent. Very honest company.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker