St. Louis

comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

holy fvkcing 80 story tall zombie necrothread batman!
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944

Post by DocPHD »

comingbackdown wrote:holy fvkcing 80 story tall zombie necrothread batman!
hey, it's all right. i bumped it. :lol: 8)
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
rossersp
Junior Standardshifter

much to my surprise...

Post by rossersp »

Who knew there'd be a St. Louis thread? It's good to see all you local(ish) folks here. It lets me know there's hope.

I'm new to this site, and reasonably new to driving a stick. I'm due for a new (well, newER) car, so I'm poking about for information. What is truly irritating is the lack of driving schools in St. Louis - and from what i understand, anywhere - that simply don't have manuals available to learn on.

Any of you have any suggestions? I've had rotten luck finding anything.

The last thing I want to do is march into a dealership with my novice skill level and get sued for whiplash...

-Ross
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Re: much to my surprise...

Post by black94boost »

rossersp wrote:Who knew there'd be a St. Louis thread? It's good to see all you local(ish) folks here. It lets me know there's hope.

I'm new to this site, and reasonably new to driving a stick. I'm due for a new (well, newER) car, so I'm poking about for information. What is truly irritating is the lack of driving schools in St. Louis - and from what i understand, anywhere - that simply don't have manuals available to learn on.

Any of you have any suggestions? I've had rotten luck finding anything.

The last thing I want to do is march into a dealership with my novice skill level and get sued for whiplash...

-Ross
Buy a car with manual transmission and teach yourself. Or ask a friend to teach you. :wink: I learned by buying a car and teaching myself and through this website and some videos. :P
What'cha gonna do when we come for you?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: much to my surprise...

Post by watkins »

black94boost wrote:Buy a car with manual transmission and teach yourself. Or ask a friend to teach you. :wink: I learned by buying a car and teaching myself and through this website and some videos. :P
As did I. I had driven a stick once. I wanted one, so I got it and learned on my own.
rossersp
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rossersp »

As did I. I had driven a stick once. I wanted one, so I got it and learned on my own.
New or used? Either way, did you test drive it? Was the owner/salesman with you?

I've driven a stick a few times, enough to have the basics, but it was on one car, and I'm a bit leary of hammering out the rest of my skill on a new(ish) transmission.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

rossersp wrote:
New or used? Either way, did you test drive it? Was the owner/salesman with you?

I've driven a stick a few times, enough to have the basics, but it was on one car, and I'm a bit leary of hammering out the rest of my skill on a new(ish) transmission.
Used with 84k on the odometer. My dad test drove it and I rode shotgun. No salespeople since I bought it from an indy.

The newer the transmmission, the better for learning since it clearly has more life left anyway.
rossersp
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rossersp »

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Thats what we're here for.
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Post by black94boost »

I think buying used or new is just a preference. Some member here will recommend buying used, some will recommend buying new. In the end, its all up to you, and what you can afford. If you have never driven manual before, ask a family member or friend to come along or to teach you a little. I had learned once from a friend before going out and bought a used Toyota Corolla.
What'cha gonna do when we come for you?